Josh Marks Mom

Schizophrenia Diagnosis

Killed My Son

10/13/2013 11:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1012_Josh_Marks_master_chef_mugshot

"MasterChef" star Josh Marks was diagnosed with schizophrenia 24 hours before committing suicide ... so says his mother, who claims the thought of dealing with more mental issues put him over the edge.

Marks' mom Paulette Mitchell is saying the reality star completed an out-patient treatment program Thursday -- where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia ... according to a family rep.

Mitchell first told the Chicago Tribune the chef had finally come to terms with his bipolar disorder ... but "couldn't bear the thought of another diagnosis."

Paulette claims Marks was upset about the doctors assessment ... so she spent the night with him and left the next afternoon to pick her daughter up from school.

A few hours later ... she received a phone call from a family member saying people had called saying Josh was walking through a nearby alley clutching a gun.

Mitchell says she rushed over to the alleyway to find him -- but instead discovered her son dead from a gunshot wound ... with a revolver at his side.

His mother also admits ... some of the Marks' delusions centered around Gordon Ramsay, and that's why he told cops back in July that the chef had possessed his body when he got arrested.

The family is hoping to start a foundation in his honor to help mental illness awareness.

CJ_Dallas

the medication he took for his bipolar probably caused symptoms that wear similar to schizophrenia
he prob wasn't even schizophrenic
mental health meds will kill you truth

CJ_Dallas

the meds made him kill himself

Clytemnestra

Mrs. Mitchell, I am truly sorry that you have lost your son, especially under these cir***stances. I have dealt with chronic depression my whole life and I can understand how your son could react so tragically to an additional diagnosis of schizophrenia. Either one of these diseases is hard enough to deal with and treat. Both? Much more so. Again, my heartfelt condolences.

Ivan in Phoenix

Truly, truly sad. I watched him on the cooking show and he had some serious skills. I hope his family & friends will be blessed with peace after losing him to this illness.

Phreaky

"The family is hoping to start a foundation..." In other words, donation$ donation$ donation$.

I love tha haters!!!

This is so sad. My prayers go out to josh and family.

NOT ELMO

so young....

freaksloan

Thank the liberals douche bags in this country for getting ride of all the mental institution in this country.

When will the liberal blood shed stop?

Ana

The stigma attached to mental illness by society and the struggles those affected by it go through doesn't help with coping at all. I wonder if she or her son told the doctors about his feelings regarding the second diagnosis because anyone in the psych field worth their salts would tell them to bring him to the hospital for suicide watch. This is such a sad case and I can't imagine how devastating it is that she found him in that alley especially after just seeing him earlier.

Mic Flex

When it mentioned Gordon Ramsey possessed his body, I'm Done

MJ

Sounds like the guy could have used a littler more time in the hospital after the diagnosis. Poor mother, what a way to find your son. RIP.

Laura

SOooo... sad! My heart goes out to his family AND... friends!!

Mike Thrash

I understand that bipolar disorder affects people differently (I myself suffer from it), and yes I've thought of ending my life quite a few times, but I don't because I realize the pain it would cause my family. My condolences to Josh Marks family. This has to be one of the most painful things in the world to have to bury your son. I have to wonder though - was he on any medications? I have several I take: more often than not, they help. It's those times they don't that I worry. And I don't even realize I'm going through a manic episode.

erinnyc

The DIAGNOSIS didn't kill him, his mental illness did. Jeezus.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4