« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Adrian Peterson

DNA Test Proved He Was the Dad

10/15/2013 5:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1011-getty-adrian-petersonWhen Adrian Peterson was told that he might be the father of a love child in South Dakota, he suspected it was true ... but he took a DNA test just to be sure, TMZ has learned.

Sources very familiar with the situation tell us ... when AP was notified about the situation roughly 2 to 3 months ago, he immediately offered to step up and help out in any way he could.

Adrian didn't suspect he was being targeted in any sort of cash grab -- but we're told that he realized it would be smart to get definitive proof that he was the child's biological dad before he made any big moves.

We're told ... once the test came back positive, AP supercharged his efforts to be a part of the kid's life -- and also offered to help out financially.

As we first reported, Adrian had initially planned to meet the child in the next couple of weeks -- but instead, he rushed to the hospital last week after learning the boy was on life support stemming from injuries allegedly caused by the mother's boyfriend.  The boy died shortly after Adrian visited him.

Our sources say ... Adrian plans to fly back to South Dakota to attend his son's funeral later this week. We're also told he will continue to communicate with the mother in the future.

0802_whos_daddy_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Scout

The only focus of this story should be on the dead toddler and how to prevent such horrible tragedies from happening in the future.

Who his irresponsible parents are is irrelevant.

Truth

TMZ SUCKS FOR INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM. THE TRUTH ALREADY LEAKED FROM THE MAN WHO ACTUALLY TOOK CARE OF THE KID SINCE HE WAS BORN. DUDE IS NAMED BOBBY RUFFIN. HERE'S WHAT THE DUDE SAID ABOUT ADRIAN PETERSON ON FACEBOOK.
@BOBBY RUFFIN, SIOUX FALLS, SD... So tired of all this Adrian Peterson sh**!! Let me blow your minds. The boy who died was my son. Yes, AP he was his biological father but I raised him and he carries my name. Tyrese Robert Ruffin. I dont blame AP for not caring cuz both him and I found out recently who biological father was. AP met my son first time yest when he was already in coma. I was here today when we pulled plug not him. He was happily practicing and playin on Sunday. So yea this isnt all out yet but I'm sick of all this AP sh**! He didnt even know or met my son!! Sorry for outburst but put yourself in my place.
SO THERE YOU HAVE IT... AP IS A FAKE ASS AND THAT PRESS CONFERENCE WAS FAKE, NON-CHALANT AND DISTANT. HIS FIANCE WAS EVEN IMPLYING **** ON TWITTER, VERY COLD AND DISTANT BASICALLY IMPLYING THE KID IS NOT MY BUSINESS AND THE TRUE SON IS HERS, AP JR. WHO IS ALIVE. TMZ SUCKS FOR FACTS! #TRUTH!!

Truth

TMZ LIKES TO DELETE POSTS THAT TELL THE #TRUTH!! Shhhh... like the one above!!

Doganr

Why would he remain in contact with the mother? Does he plain in impregnating her again?

Truth

TEST

puddy

I'm trying to figure out the anger towards him coming from people. He wasn't informed that he could be the father until 2-3 months ago and the mother also had other people tested also because there were other possibilities also. It is a tragedy and people need to lay off.

BABS

OMG he never ever met his son? he just found out 2-3 months ago? stories like this make me crazy .....

Denver

He will continue to communicate with the baby's mother. Is that what they call a booty call now?

L'Boogiesaidit

Sounds like he got a lot of free publicity from the death of son he never met, maybe he had good intentions for the future we'll never know... who is this horrible mother anyway ? First she didn't know who to pick for the daddy then she gets a boyfriends she allowed enough contact with to crack his head open.. trifling b#@!?

SFSD Dude

"Sources very familiar with the situation tell us ...
when AP was notified about the situation roughly 2 to 3 months ago, he immediately offered to step up and help out in any way he could."

You guys need to do better research. Your sources are as familiar with the situation as Peterson was with this child.

I have been saying this from the beginning. BLOOD & DNA DOES NOT MAKE A PERSON A DAD!

Peterson had NEVER SEEN THIS KID until he was in the hospital & later died. His remorse and why he played two days later were miniscule to what his REAL DAD had to have felt. This child was NOT "A.P."'s SON PAST A SPERM DONATION.

I feel bad for Bobby Ruffin's [the REAL dad] loss. I do not feel bad for the vikings loss though, as that is just par for the course.

SFSD Dude

"Sources very familiar with the situation tell us ...

CRAIG

You guys know his nickname is AD and not AP, right? I don't think anyone calls him AP -- except you guys.

Havana6

He is no father never was there for the kid **** him and rot in football

TexasBlonde

Okay, I think I am officially confused. If Ruffin raised the boy and was the father figure in his life, why did mom have a child beater watching him.

Some of you folks need to get off your high horse. It is very hard for a guy to be a father or provide for his child if he does not know he has that child. Some women have never, ever told their children who their father is. For whatever reason, they do not want the dad to know he has a child nor do they want help raising their child.

I do not know how Ruffin found out he was not the father unless he asked for a DNA test. It is not say much in mom's favor either if she was doing two guys around the same time where either one could be the father and she is clueless as to which guy is the father.

allieb

AGREE WITH BOBBY 110%. IT TAKES MORE THAN A SHOT OF SPERM AND A MONTHLY CHECK TO BE A DAD

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2