Harry Belafonte

I HAVE A DREAM

To Sell MLK's Speeches

10/15/2013 1:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1015_harry_mtk_gettyHarry Belafonte wants to be free at last ... to sell original speeches penned by Martin Luther King, Jr., but King's Estate has mounted a challenge from the mountaintop ... so Belafonte is now suing.

Get this ... Belafonte has the notes that were in Dr. King's suit pocket when he was assassinated in 1968.  He also has a condolence letter written to Coretta King by President Lyndon Johnson.  And, he has various King speeches, including the outline for the famous "The casualties of the war in Vietman" speech.

Belafonte tried to sell the docs at a Sotheby's auction back in 2008, but the Estate objected and the auction was cancelled.

Belafonte apparently was stewing over this for years, and now he's made his move by filing a lawsuit asking a judge to confirm he's the rightful owner.  And get this ... Sotheby's is holding all the docs until a court decides who owns the priceless stuff.

As for how Harry gained possession of the docs, he had a long relationship with King during the Civil Rights movement.  In fact, King worked at Belafonte's NYC apartment and Belafonte even provided King with financial support.

Dead account Delete at will

Wooo Hooo lets hear those Rodney King speeches.

Whirligig

Martin Luther King Jr. plagiarized a lot the stuff he "wrote"... seems hypocritical to me.

Dead account Delete at will

Martain Loofah King.
Stay clean with the King!

Yes, I'm That Leah

I'm so proud to be African American. Such a rich history! Good luck Harry, I wanna see you've been hiding all these years.

Dead account Delete at will

And heres my racial joke of the day brought to you by MLK.
Why do black people only have nightmares?
Because the last one to have A Dream was killed

Clytemnestra

Let me guess: The King family claims that anything Marty ever touched or belonged to him and has any monetary value is rightfully theirs? I do hope Mr. Belafonte prevails.

Mponjoli malakasuka

oooh its another one, Hov where your are, please we need to respect MLK

bart

He owns the material so I see no issues if he wants to sell it. He is old now and maybe needs the income for him and his family. It be better if he donated it to a museum or college separate from the family so everyone can view it.

Ginger

King family can buy them and donate them

phil osopher

WWJD?????

Ace

MLK was a drum major.

Dead account Delete at will

Thought I'd throw this out to everyone.
when you refer to yourself as African American why do you feel the need to add the African part? Do you think we'll not know your African unless you tell us? I'm American. and just American. I have no need to list where my Ancestors came from. Along with most white people. You don't hear im English American, I'm French American, I'm Norwegian American, I'm german American. Why the need for the African in front of it? Why wouldn't you just want to be Americans? You would think if the African movement wanted equal everything and wanted to leave racial s**t behind them they'd just want to be considered Americans. As many of the other cultures that came here have.

kitnplayn

Viet-man? That's some sloppy work right there TMZ, as usual. And it's a title you are quoting, so it's supposed to be "The Casualities of the War in Vietnam".

Horndog

I too have a dream - a dream where Harvey stops accepting cash from Kris Jenner (tm) to post false stories about her idiot family.

Liz

One of MLK's sons is behind all the money-grubbing - we just had the 50th anniv. of the 'I Have a Dream' speech, and no one could play it without paying the King family. Very odd to have a historic event commemorated without any actual audio or video.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments