Justin Bieber

Building School in Guatemala

... Without Shirt

10/28/2013 8:21 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1028-bieber-02

Justin Bieber ventured deep into the Guatemalan jungle to help a group of poor villagers construct a badly needed schoolhouse this weekend ... and TMZ has the pics.

After Justin performed in Guatemala City on Saturday, he joined up with Pencils of Promise -- an organization dedicated to building schools for communities in need.

JB was choppered into a remote area outside the city on Sunday ... where a makeshift construction crew was already busy putting up walls for the new school.

1028-bieber-01

In a video posted on his blog, Bieber says the town was overrun with poverty -- "I'm not talking about poor, I'm talking about 10 people living in a little shack."

Inspired, Justin ditched his shirt and went to work -- grabbing a wheelbarrow and helping to build a wall for the school.

He also took off his shoes and gave them to one of the local children.

1028-bieber-03

Afterward, Bieber says it was, "one of the most amazing powerful experiences of my life."

Bieber says the experience helped him grow as a person -- saying, "I feel like they helped me as much as I helped them."

Stephscott_

shaking my head at some of these comments. I don't see any of you doing any good. all youre doing is bashing a 19 year old popstar for helping out children in Guatemala. makes no sense. hes always done stuff like this...no one just ever paid any attention to it. yeah, hes made some dumb decisions in the past but who hasn't? cut him some slack, damn.

PT

Can you say "spin control"? I knew you could.

Kay

How cute. I'm sure that organization would rather have the money he spent on his latest fancy car.

Patlouela

So the kid w the shoes gets bullied..Beiber should have bought shoes for every kid in the village...

Victoria

WHAT IS YOUR ****ING PROBLEM???? HE'S HELPING ANOTHER PEOPLE AND YOU JUST REALIZE THAT HE ISN'T WEARIN A T-SHIRT?? DO YOU HELP ANYBODY? NO! SO SHUT THE **** UP IDIOT.

minamaged

You are the best.

Jereas

It wasn't PLANNED of him giving away shoes, because if it was , you would have called it a PR STUNT. It randomly happened, we dont know what went down out there. Maybe he felt sorry for this kid and took off his shoes. He was there to built a school! You forget the most important thing but bash him on giving away ONE pair of shoes, why not appreciate he atleast gave them one?
Plus, he wears big shoes no kid could walk in that.

Victoria

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT HE'S HELPING CHILDREN AND YOU ONLY REALIZE THAT HE ISN'T WEARING A T-SHIRT. YOU *******S.

Mike

And, just like that, Bieber begins to grow up. Now, if he'd only ditch that propped-up, revolving ball cap.

rivvy boyle

watch the video he is more than humbled by the experience. he went, he saw, he helped, he's now walking around happy at the fact he could help. What have you people bashing him done today, to help the less fortunate? Oh wait, that's right. Nothing because obviously slating somebody else and their good doing is more important. Yup i get it. You're pressed, that's okay. You'll open your eyes one day. Hopefully.

Michael

OK Biebs...even though it was set up by your PR people, it is still the LEAST-DOUCHEY thing you have done in your young career. You still could have chosen to NOT go there, and you still went and actually helped out. For once I/WE can see something GREAT about you. WTG Biebs!

Buddy The Elf

It's a nice effort, but more believable if cameras werent rolling. Comes across like just another photo op and PR campaign to repair his image. Right down to the no shirt and being choppered in.

AFallGuy4U

Im not a Bieb-fan at all..but geeze guys!..give the kid a break! sounds sincere to me..
Question TMZ crew: What are you guys doing with your wealth, fame & fortune?? Rather just picking on celebrities.

Carol

Could he actually be growing up ?!!

Kelly

What a poser! He didn't do a damn thing. I know some of the people that actually do the hard work of building these schools. Unconscionable for this infant to show up and take photos!