Justin Bieber

Building School in Guatemala

... Without Shirt

10/28/2013 8:21 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1028-bieber-02

Justin Bieber ventured deep into the Guatemalan jungle to help a group of poor villagers construct a badly needed schoolhouse this weekend ... and TMZ has the pics.

After Justin performed in Guatemala City on Saturday, he joined up with Pencils of Promise -- an organization dedicated to building schools for communities in need.

JB was choppered into a remote area outside the city on Sunday ... where a makeshift construction crew was already busy putting up walls for the new school.

1028-bieber-01

In a video posted on his blog, Bieber says the town was overrun with poverty -- "I'm not talking about poor, I'm talking about 10 people living in a little shack."

Inspired, Justin ditched his shirt and went to work -- grabbing a wheelbarrow and helping to build a wall for the school.

He also took off his shoes and gave them to one of the local children.

1028-bieber-03

Afterward, Bieber says it was, "one of the most amazing powerful experiences of my life."

Bieber says the experience helped him grow as a person -- saying, "I feel like they helped me as much as I helped them."

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Of course TMZ has photos. Of there are photos, lots of them, I'm sure.

Wil

I love how hes FINALLY doing something good and all you can focus on is the fact that he wasnt wearing a shirtÉ

Pretty ****ing sad

I give this round to Bieber

katelin

listen, some of yall comments are cool to read but then there's some that are just negative. Literally trying to find negative in the positive. 'Justin's still a douche' since when has he ever been a douche? Yall don't know him like Beliebers do, Beliebers know the Justin right in that video clip! Justin's always doing good and no one notices. This is him in him self thats wanted to help, not his management making him do it. Stop with negative comments, all he does is give and give and give. and TMZ really? '...without a t-shirt' is it against the law to have a t-shirt off? I wouldn't of thought so. LISTEN to that video and see just how humble, appreciative and loving he is. He aint a bad person, never has been.

Hanapana

I like this Beiber. Keep it up Justin. Keep this experience fresh in your mind always.

JJ

I hate when PR is more important than helping people. This was done to change the topic in the media and the web about Biebs not so nice public outings. Good job management team.
But in the end at least some people were helped regardless of this over the top PR moment.

mikkie

Yes he's done some douchy things, but come on, lets give him the benefit of the doubt here. Even if his PR team set this up, hopefully he learned from this experience. He's young and there's still hope for him yet.

Kristofer

at least these poor Guatemalins can afford hair gel... I mean.. if you're gonna be poor, you might as well look good doing it...

Tuna212

Maybe he will realize how blessed he is and settle down a bit...thats all we ask,dial it down kid.

JJ

Now a days a celebrity or a company can't wait to tell you about their fundraising or their "good doings" it's all PR. I remember back in the day in the height of Prince's career nobody (for the most part) knew about all his charitable efforts. Because he wanted it that way. Prince also didn't merchandise himself to death with dolls of himself or sheets with himself all over them. Prince could have made tons of money-didn't do it. Why? What's the real motive behind these PR moments?

lkelly816

Maybe, just a slight MAYBE, progress is being made. At least he's not peeing in a janitor's bucket. But, time will tell.............it always does.

Laura

FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

themasterchimp

Good job Biebs. Maybe you are not a lost cause.

Ashley

Nice work J Beibs!! You are an amazing kid, keep up the great work!!!! Canada is proud to have you!

JoeFrancis

Your move, Miley.

rico

To late to change your image. Phony photo stunt.