« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ex-NFL Star Freddie Mitchell

37 Months in PRISON

... for Tax Crimes

10/29/2013 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1029-freddie-mitchell-gettyFormer NFL star Freddie Mitchell -- who went by the nickname Fred-X during his time with the Philadelphia Eagles -- has just been sentenced to 37 MONTHS in prison for tax crimes, TMZSports has learned.

The 34-year-old had previously pled guilty to being part of a tax fraud scheme in which he cheated the federal government out of millions of dollars.

Mitchell was facing up to 10 years in prison -- but he struck a deal with prosecutors and got off with only 37 months. He's been ordered to surrender by December 6.

During the sentencing phase of the case, Mitchell argued that he suffered brain injuries during his time in the NFL -- and therefore he should be given the lightest prison sentence so he can properly treat his health issues.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Mary Anne Killian

Freddie would not have intentionally break the law. He was scammed!

Mumra the Ever Living

He was a loud mouthed punk when he played for the Eagles. They got tired of his antics, especially since he was at best a below average receiver with a way above normal ego.
Brain injury? Fred short armed anytime he went into traffic, he never blocked, and he sure didn't get head butted by teammates over a good play.
There are bear league Bowlers who have had more contact than Freddy Mitchell ever got on the field.
Toss this piece of crap in jail.

Vote2012

Why is it when one of these ex NFL guys gets into trouble they are always called a star? He was not a star in the NFL. If he did the crime spend him away to pay for the crime in prison, but stop calling every retired or ex player a former star in the NFL.

Dan

I am pretty sure his brain damage was there long before he started playing football.

Metta Worldhate

I can't believe I'm eskimo brothers with that guy. She was gross, too! What was I thinking?!? Let me tell you, the last thing you wanna hear after hooking up with some chick is that she used to bang Freddie Mitchell. I think I almost scoured my dick off with my luffa after that wonderful discovery.

John Weiss

Don't you actually have to have a brain to injure it? Plus this loser was rarely hit because he hardly ever caught the ball. Even on the fourth abd 26 he tripped over a blade of grass and fell down unharmed.