Tom Cruise

Admits Katie Holmes Fled Because of Scientology

11/8/2013 9:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1108-tom-cruise-launch
Tom Cruise admitted that Katie Holmes left him partly because of his ties to Scientology.

Cruise sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine company that claimed he abandoned his daughter Suri.

In the deposition ... Cruise squirmed in his chair as the lawyer for the magazine repeatedly asked if Katie fled their marriage because of the Church.  Cruise hemmed and hawed, suggesting it wasn't true, and then the lawyer asked whether "Katie Holmes left you in part to protect Suri from Scientology."

Cruise answered:  "Did she say that?  That was one of the assertions, yes."

Cruise also admitted that Suri is NOT a member of Scientology anymore.

The story that triggered the lawsuit claimed Tom abandoned his daughter.  In his depo, Cruise says for the period between June 18, 2012 and Thanksgiving, 2012, he estimates he only saw Suri 10 days.  During one stretch ... Tom admits he didn't see his daughter for more than 100 days.

The lawyer for the magazine grilled Tom about his desire to see Suri.  The lawyer pulled out aviation documents showing Tom flew from Pittsburgh to London on Oct. 15 for the International Association of Scientology convention.   Tom returned to Pittsburgh the next day.   Tom said it was very important to attend, and then the lawyer made it clear Tom never took such quick trips to see Suri.

And in another part of the deposition, the magazine's lawyer brought up the part of the story in which they claimed Suri was "upset and crying a lot" when Tom was absent.  In the depo, Tom admits being absent, but adamantly denied Suri was upset.

1108_tom_cruise_katie_holmes_split_footer

TOM CRUISE

My Job's As Hard As

FIGHTING IN AFGHANISTAN

1108-tom-cruise-gettyTom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

Larc

I thought she filed for divorce because he's an idiot.

Ron

The cult of Scientology was founded by L. Ron Hubbard, a science-fiction writer who believed that we are descendants of space aliens. He believed that we must rid ourselves of belief in false Earthly religions in order to achieve personal freedom and great accomplishments. This is the main attraction of Scientology for actors and people seeking great wealth.

Frank Bowers

I think T Cruise is just looking some place to place blame for his ignorance.

DogsRule

SMART Girl that Katie!!

SarahBeebee

I don't really care about neither of them but i must say. The deposition was an interesting read. I bet the higher ups in Scientology must be fuming that Tom is admitting all this. lol I think Tom will be away for a little while after this. it's Time to put tom back in their mind-control rooms after making the higher ups mad. lol

cl

I know people who knew Tom years ago and they had always said he was the nicest person one could know. He probably still is, but is being somewhat controlled by this made up religion. It was created literally from a bet. I hope Tom can some how get a better perspective and take control of his life back. His life and that of his daughter would benefit greatly. He is nothing but a cash cow to that group.

Sara Sells Sea Shells

I seriously don't care if he's crazy. Tom Cruise in Top Gun is and will always be the sexiest man in the history of forever.

Valerie

Tom has little to do with Suri now because she has been deemed a Suppressive Person by Co$. I also doubt that Suri is his biological child. Tom may have Holoprosencephaly which can be passed on and cause miscarriage or stillbirth. Katie may have been impregnated via turkey baster, thinking it was Tom's swimmers but I think it was Tommy Davis's as there is a striking resemblance between him and Suri. Tommy Davis was very high up in Co$ at that point so it would be a logical choice. That's why the divorce was so quick and quiet, because Katie found out and held it over Tom's head to get mostly full custody and no Co$ school for Suri.

Livvie

He needs to quit that cult.

Vic

So much for his over acted,couch jumping claim that he's in love, on the over rated show, Oprah Winfrey show. That makes three divorces for the midget wonder. High Time for both Oprah and Thomas Cruise Mapother IV to drop off the Hollywood scope, before it's too late. Which it is.

Carriejane

ANY religion that expects to come before your family is WRONG !!

Pagan

I have very little use for magazines that publish these kinds of article. So even though, I am skeptical of scientology, I hope Cruise wins this. What even Cruise's relationship is with his daughter, that his nobody's business but Suri's family. She is best served by allowing it to be a private matter.

Gregory

You think Tom? Probably because the religion is NUTS, and so are you.

Sara

My thought is that Tom was only giving visitation rights not any level of custody (even that screams Katie has something very damaging on Tom). His ego is so inflated and I can't see him asking Katie permission for anything. It would be very uncomfortable to the point he would probably abandon Suri.

Suzi

I feel bad for him. He truly believes in this Scientology stuff and that is his right. But when you put your spiritual believes before the needs of your family it starts you end up Divorced and people talking **** about your sanity. I wish he could step away from Scientology and look at Reality... it has ruined two of his marriages, and both of his ex's went from Frumpy little nobodies to this Hi- Classes bitches all because of him, his money and fame. He has been used and abused by everyone, maybe all he has is his faith. If he was a raging Jew, Christian or Catholic or whatever other religion out there I doubt people would be so hard on him. But because they view Scientology as a " Cult" people feel he has lost it and goes on the band wagon of bashing his brains out with criticism. Not cool people. Sometimes your faith is all you have. :/