Tom Cruise

Admits Katie Holmes Fled Because of Scientology

11/8/2013 9:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1108-tom-cruise-launch
Tom Cruise admitted that Katie Holmes left him partly because of his ties to Scientology.

Cruise sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine company that claimed he abandoned his daughter Suri.

In the deposition ... Cruise squirmed in his chair as the lawyer for the magazine repeatedly asked if Katie fled their marriage because of the Church.  Cruise hemmed and hawed, suggesting it wasn't true, and then the lawyer asked whether "Katie Holmes left you in part to protect Suri from Scientology."

Cruise answered:  "Did she say that?  That was one of the assertions, yes."

Cruise also admitted that Suri is NOT a member of Scientology anymore.

The story that triggered the lawsuit claimed Tom abandoned his daughter.  In his depo, Cruise says for the period between June 18, 2012 and Thanksgiving, 2012, he estimates he only saw Suri 10 days.  During one stretch ... Tom admits he didn't see his daughter for more than 100 days.

The lawyer for the magazine grilled Tom about his desire to see Suri.  The lawyer pulled out aviation documents showing Tom flew from Pittsburgh to London on Oct. 15 for the International Association of Scientology convention.   Tom returned to Pittsburgh the next day.   Tom said it was very important to attend, and then the lawyer made it clear Tom never took such quick trips to see Suri.

And in another part of the deposition, the magazine's lawyer brought up the part of the story in which they claimed Suri was "upset and crying a lot" when Tom was absent.  In the depo, Tom admits being absent, but adamantly denied Suri was upset.

1108_tom_cruise_katie_holmes_split_footer

TOM CRUISE

My Job's As Hard As

FIGHTING IN AFGHANISTAN

1108-tom-cruise-gettyTom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

Mikey

Scientology was made up by a science fiction writer as a joke.

KAREN Christopher

where is the WHOLE deposition?? Disappointing

Karl LeBeouf

From what I've read about Scientology, I believe it has all the markings of a cult (my opinion). I have mixed emotions regarding Tom Cruise because he's been brainwashed the point that he's seems willing to give up relationships and his daughter to protect his dogma. It's really just sad!

Gretel

I thought the story was Suri would be put in Sea Org and that wasn't going to fly with her mother. Can't blame her.

Karl LeBeouf

weezle

My dad is 88 and my mom is 81 and even after tons of evidence against a cult-like religion they belong to, they still refuse to leave the religion. Why? I think because of all the friends they have and after so many years, leaving would feel like a failure; like they've wasted their entire lives being blind and financially supporting clever businessmen who call themselves Godly. Run, Tom, Run - while you're still young enough to change and start living your life for yourself and those who really love you. Serving God is an individual thing - not an organized business where one person sits higher than another. There will be no atheists in hell.

Mikey

Isn't he suppose to be a closet homo or something?

eatahabanero

The man had a woman that adored him and he ran her off with his radical beliefs, how silly.

Sashatree

Scientology = CULT OF RICH, VAPID, SELF-ABSORBED, UNLOVED, POWER-SEEKING, GULLIBLE FOOLS.

campbell

For heavens sake give the guy a break. He loves the spoiled brat and gives her everything. If you ask me Katie Holmes is trying to get full custody of this kid. I'll bet she is not the angel everyone makes her out to be.

Mikey

She still married him when he was acting like a nut jumping up and down of Oprahs couch and berating Matt Lauer. He must have been really nuts behind closed door for Katie to bail.

Mikey

The guy is a movie star with tons of money but he's completely out of his mind.

Rob Cypher

smart girl

Val

Can't decide what or who Tom loves more; Scientology or himself? Obviously Suri is further down on the list.

Linda

It was the reason for he and Nichole's split also. Guess he is too stupid to see this religion thing is a cult. I would get far enough away from him that he and his cult could never grab up my child. Unfortuantely Nichole doesn't have her kids, the cult does. Sad