Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

cynic

I can't wait to read his new book: "Phoning It In: Tom Cruise's Guide to Parenting."
Perhaps he should focus on listening during phone calls with his child instead of telling dumb stories.

STFUP

"location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like."
How the F~~K would he know!? The gay, cultist freak never served a day in his life! F~~K him! What a HUGE insult to our brave men & women who serve!

SunnyAutumn

TMZ, you are really glib! You mock my work ethic. How pathetic is that. I would like to see you accomplish what I do. It's brutal man, just brutal. Only, I can do this.

Gretel

The day Tom ends up with half his skull or his limbs blown to bits, or leaves a widow because of an IED or Afghani soldiers hitting their mark ~ I might consider that statement but until then he's simply an asswhole.

Astro171

Easier to swallow when there's a $30 million pay day in the end you douche. F you...

Astronut

Talk about OUT OF TOUCH. Yeesh.

Sonia

And it’s his imagination that makes him such a great actor. But to compare his profession to be a grueling as our fight military is delusional and so disrespecting to our TRUE HEROS. Glad to know that Scientology teaches its members that physical interaction with their children it not necessary Skype/telephone and is just as good.

CathyJ

WHAT?? This little man has no idea what our military is dealing with and how dare he even compare his stupid non-moneymaking movies to what our men and women go through to protect us and keep us safe! How arrogant of this washed-up "actor." He makes millions to make movies no one sees, not even on DVD or PPV. He has always be a crackpot but this puts him to the top of the list.

Caterina

Has he ever been in a war zone like Afghanistan? Unlike a movie star, after a hard day of work our troops don't get to go to a cozy trailer or hotel room. My husband has had two tours in Afghanistan & he basically stayed in a shipping container that was converted into rooms.

Astronut

Talk about OUT OF TOUCH. Yeesh.

Astronut

Talk about OUT OF TOUCH. Yeesh.

Lucky Lucy

This makes me want to vomit. No matter how demanding an acting role may be, it is still just make believe. Our troops serving in Afghanistan face REAL danger and don't receive even a tiny fraction of the financial compensation that Tom does. They deal with hardships that he could not even begin to imagine. He needs to shut up and go away.

SunnyAutumn

Wow ...

Talk about delusional. If he had any fans left, I'm certain they are taking offense. He is a sick man, a very sick man.

cementmixer

What a tiny little jerk this two bit b actor is.