Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

mtfern

He runs... Now let him run when someone is shooting at him and watch his buddies fall in front of him. I have never seen anyone so in to himself. A total ASS.

Shyanne

REALLY ........ you should be ashamed of yourself ----- make your crappy movies, collect your millions and shut the hell up, please.

Repeter

Dude's job is to be a pimp for a cult. He's a tool & it's a good thing Katie grabbed Suri & escaped this maniac before it was too late to save her.

He's a terrible husband & an even worse father. I hope no other woman is stupid enough to get involved with this p.o.s.

Margaret Merrick

I am appalled that you would consider yourself doing as stressful a job as a military man (or woman!) in Afghanistan! How dare you insinuate that you work just as hard as one of our military personnel! You live to entertain and our men and women in uniform fight so you can have that choice!

Danshoe

I personally won't watch or pay for anything related to this @$$. If we all did likewise. This clown would be out of our face forever.

Charlie

Maybe he should do a film in Kandahar, or Tora Bora, or maybe Mazar-e-Sharif. Maybe we will all get lucky.

TAmi

You puny little bastard…you have nothing in common with our heroes who are stuck sleeping in dirt, fighting for their lives as well as our freedom…You make me sick…you piece of ****.

Nancy

1. Apologize to the military.
2. shut the f>>> up!

Jeff Fink

Then sign up and pick up a weapon...

Stan Reeves

This little prick need to serve in a war zone then maybe he could comment maybe on what it like to live under the threat of being killed everyday !!! What a jackass!!! I wouldn't go to see one of his movies if you paid me too !

M N

Somebody needs to get over themselves....

What I Think

I think that cult must have stir fried his brain.

CindyCindyCindy

He didn't say his job was like fighting in Afghanistan. You've taken it out of context. He was talking about being away from Suri, and then how being away was like a tour in Afghanistan. He's said before that he has grueling workouts, etc. Everyone knows he does his own stunts. I'm no particular fan of his, but I don't see that you should blast him for something he didn't intend.

BW

As a mother of an army veteran who was wounded by an IED while serving in Afghanistan....you ought to be ashamed of yourself for even making that comparison. You obviously do not appreciate the sacrifices our men and women make so that you have the "freedom" to say such an unintelligent comment. You have completely lost my respect!

Dr. Cornelia J. Dogbarker PhD

Please step on a land mine and die, Tommy-boy. He's queer, and everyone knows it.

Previous 15 Comments | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments