Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

katie k

in the shadow of rememberence day,jjust another inflated ego,lets see if he does his job on the pay that a soldier gets, i think not, just another false idol drowning in his self importance

Teri

Well Mr Tom Cruise, I as a military spouse could only wish to say my husband's life overseas during long deployment away from his family is just as glamorous as your life in Hollywood.

Karen Law

Again Tom, you need to think before you open your mouth. I'm sure any troop SERVING your country in Afghanistan would gladly switch places with you ANY DAY!! Maybe you need to really sign up for the armed forces to see just how BRUTAL it is!! Wake up!!

Delana Stoker

well Tom, at least you do your films, you get to go home to your family or just your home, our soliders don't get to talk with their kids on the phone, and many of their kids no longer have a Daddy or Mommie because they was out there fighting the real war, while you was just acting like you was, and our soliders don't get millions for doing what they do, and you say what you do is as hard, No, get a grip man, you have no ideal what it is like for our men and women in Afghanistan or any other war we have sent our sons and daughters to, our sons and daughters take a chance to never see their familys again so you can do what you do, well I will be the first to say, I used to watch your movies, but I will not ever watch another one, you have no heart for men and women fighting for your freedom to do what you want, and if you really think your job is as hard as theirs, think again, your comment sickens me

misspriss

I'm sure he really has to worry about having his head lobbed off with a sword by the Taliban, or his limbs blown off by concealed bombs in his makeup trailer. What a profoundly disturbed ass he is.

Chad

It should have been you Tom... not goose.

ju

ok tom your job is just as hard ok lets watch someone shoot some bullets at you and see how hard it really is you are a pampered bitch and have no right to say your acting is as hard as fighting unless you lose a limb or see people dying then you have no right to say your stupid comments

Tandy04@live.com

F.U. Tom Cruise there not acting there actually in reality which is something you can't understand .Let me put it this way .I'd rather be in the presence of a Solider that I never met than beside you .Do you finally get the picture.Go Away.I love My Vets !!!!!

Kathy

Tom Cruise is a pompous actor. I could care less about his opinions regarding our military. The last movie he made I really enjoyed was Jerry McGuire, which had nothing to do with the military. I could care less about his Scientology Religion. It means nothing to me. He doesn't know what real heroes are. Kathy, North Carolina

lisa

I find it funny that he says neither of his older children have seen Katie since the divorce. They also have had minimal to no contact with their mother, Nicole Kidman, after that divorce. Kind of strange, wouldn't you say? Guessing it has NOTHING to do with the Scientology?

chris buman

Damn, you have no idea how may people you have just pissed off.

John

Tom.... Shut Up!!!!!!!!!

Jonziegirl

Tom is confused yet again. Maybe he thinks he's really saving the world by suffering through the awful movies he's been making. I'd like to see a member of the military complain about having to fly coach once in four years. I think they are pretty happy just to be on a plane coming home. Thank you to all who serve. Tom STFU

Robert

You guys have completely misquoted Cruise. You have done him, your readers, and our troops, a huge disservice. You've lied to us just for a sensational story, and it has caught fire all over the internet. Cruise actually said the complete opposite of what you make it seem like he said. You have an obligation to correct your egregious error.

gmafriday

Be is an idiot

Previous 15 Comments | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments