Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

Olivia3100

That's an insult to the men and women who have put their lives on the line, lived in horrid conditions, faced fear in the name of serving this county....you are an ass!!! Self absorbed phony.....are you Charlie Sheen's brother?

2idiots

I'm sure flying on your Private Jet with comfy leather seats is a lot like a being airlifted to a battle field or taking a MAC flight to see your family between tours of duty.
We'll Mr Cruise you can officially kiss your career goodbye - you just shot yourself in the foot - BIG TIME.

2idiots

And Tom don't forget when you're making a movie PRETENDING to be a soldier, you sleep in a comfortable bed in a nice big suite at some fancy hotel. You're not sleeping on the cold wet ground with bombs and gunfire going off.

guy

HEY we need to STOP our hating on TC, He DID NOT SAY THIS.
The actual transcripts prove he DID NOT say this.

I was quick to judge too, but I now know he DID NOT say it.

Walt

Can I shoot at him and see how he feels about that? I'm sure that nothing like the crack of a round flying by your ear could be something you could train for.... or wondering if the next mile down the road might be your last.... Your an AHOLE Tom...

dee

There is NO COMPARISON! War and training for a movie.................give me a break!

AuntySocial

Have you no shame? Stop lying about people. This is nothing but an online version of The National Enquirer. I am not a fan of Tom Cruise or his kooky religion, but I cannot stand to see anyone deliberately lie about him either.

AuntySocial

GOLLY

I wonder how many veterans will be watching his next movie.

gordon

I wake up with an erection harder than Tom's job.

TXChick

What an arrogant, egotistical *******! He will NEVER get anymore of my money.

Betty

What a jerk - he obviously is so removed from reality I feel sorry for him. The world is not a movie, our armed forces are in real jeopardy - life and death daily. How can he compare making a useless movie to fighting a real war?

TuxThePenguin

850 posts (and counting). Tom, you really shouldn't have said such a stupid thing. Even if it WAS a bit out if context, it's STILL offensive to even REMOTELY compare your alien-a** self to our military!

Tracey

If that is the case why the heck aren't the soldier that are fighting four the country friggin make the kind of money that you are making you loser

peter j kuZemchak

you have no idea what it is to serve in any combat area. i am a 22 year army combat infantry retiree. i serve in the desert. you receive millons of dollars for your movies. we receive maybe a couple thousand a month depending on your rank. you are an idiot. you and disgusting, and you are an embarassment to the american public for that comment.

Previous 15 Comments | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments