Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

BigAl

Between Cruise and West, I don't think the world has enough room for both of their egos.

Marsha

Tom Cruise is clearly is one of those people who would say "I like me! Who do you like?"

Marsha

Tom Cruise is clearly a person who says "I like me! Who do you like?" Please he needs to get over himself and fast.

Mintie

TMZ, look at what you started. Time to apologize, fools!

Mintie

Metta Worldhate

Suck it, veterans, Tom Cruise would kick your butt!!!

Elise

To see what he thinks on Veterans Day is a joke. I have lost all respect for him. He's too much about himself. Way too self absorbed.

philip

who give a **** what he said. we got a lot more problems to worry about then some stupid comment some actor says.

roagie

he's a waste of good oxygen .

dahlia

He tells his daughter "stories," but what do you want a bet he's never once LISTENED to his daughter tell him anything...?

Whoahorsywhoa

He hasn't received any money from us at the box office since Top Gun. I hope some vet feeds him his teeth

Sherry

I always thought Mr. Tom Cruise had a huge ego but this is the most degrading and disrespectful thing he has said. How can he compare himself to a soldier fighting in Afghanistan when the soldiers never know if they will be safely returned home to their loved ones. I am sure the Mr. Cruise is very well protected when he is acting but as anyone whom has family or are themselves in a war zone there are no guarantees that they will be safe...

Shame on you Mr. Cruise!!

Sherry

Shame on you Mr. Cruise!!

Simone

That's not what he meant. They clipped the interview. After he said this, the person said "Are you saying you saying being an actor is as hard as being a soldier" and he said no

Saul

People should check their sources before publish stories.

Previous 15 Comments | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments