'Treme' Star

Sues Macy's for Racial Profiling

11/13/2013 1:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1113-rob-brown-macys-getty
"Treme" star Robert Brown has just sued Macy's in NYC for racial profiling ... TMZ has learned.

The HBO star says last June he went to Macy's flagship store in Herald Square in NYC to buy his mom a fancy watch as a graduation present.

Brown says after purchasing the $1,300 Movado timepiece, he went on the hunt for a pair of sunglasses when he was stopped in the middle of the store by 3 white guys who he believes were NYPD cops.

Brown claims the officers began to "publicly and falsely" accuse him of committing credit card fraud.  He says he was then cuffed and paraded around the store "like an already convicted common criminal."

Brown says he was then thrown into a holding cell and berated for an hour.

When cops realized who he was, Brown says he was released.  And, Brown claims, cops then tried to whitewash the situation by offering to give him a police escort to his mom's graduation.

oink

The NYPD are Masters at Racial Profiling. Sue their ass

Sng

Sad that a black man can't shop without being accused of stealing. I'm glad he is calling them out.

Mikeg

Why did it took him so looong?? I guess now after the Barney's things - it seems like a perfect timing for media attention

SunnyAutumn

Sue their butts off. #sad.

YungOne

Last June. What happened between now and then?

firebaby

some things you just will never understand, unless it happens to you... most white people cannot fathom something like this, but as a black person it's actually strange to walk into a shop and not get followed around, that's how commonplace it has become....
i was 12 yrs old the first time i got falsely held for shoplifting... i bought a chapstick, walked out and got held... they went through my bag and found batteries (i had my walkman with me as always, so i'd walk with extra batteries) and decided that's what i stole... they only believed me after i told them my age and they called my mum....
my mum asked the security guard what made them hold me in the first place, and he said i "looked suspicious".... i guess being a young black girl with dry lips in the winter is "suspicious"....

samael

OMG, good for him, that creates alot of fear for the person being racially profiled.

Shame on Macy's

Clyde T.M. Nestra

If his story holds up, he SHOULD do this. I'm not black, but what other reason would he be treated like this? You buy something with a good credit card...where the eff does anyone come off treating you like this!?!

Kelly

So if you're black, everything that goes wrong is because your black?

Areader

Good for Robert Brown, however, this occured in June, we're in mid November....why now and not then?

Jennifer

How is it Macy's fault when it was the NYPD who detained him?

Chuck

Looks very suspicious because of timing...maybe the racial profiling charge is a lot of hooey.....Just like most "racism" charges...Stop it.

Nekru

Oh dear another poor poor enward victim. Enwards.. always the victims. I smell another enward hoax. Dis beez raciss dat beez rayciss..

Italia

"When cops realized who he was, Brown says he was released...Brown says this has been a big problem with Macy's so he's filed it as a class action lawsuit."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think he must mean, when cops found out the credit card wasn't stolen he was released, not because of "who he is". Cops prove all the time that they don't care WHO you are, they will take you down. As for the "class action" lawsuit, all that means is he won't barely see a dime and his attorneys will get all the money.

lcmb

A black person playing the victim/race card?

Shocker.