'Treme' Star

Sues Macy's for Racial Profiling

11/13/2013 1:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1113-rob-brown-macys-getty
"Treme" star Robert Brown has just sued Macy's in NYC for racial profiling ... TMZ has learned.

The HBO star says last June he went to Macy's flagship store in Herald Square in NYC to buy his mom a fancy watch as a graduation present.

Brown says after purchasing the $1,300 Movado timepiece, he went on the hunt for a pair of sunglasses when he was stopped in the middle of the store by 3 white guys who he believes were NYPD cops.

Brown claims the officers began to "publicly and falsely" accuse him of committing credit card fraud.  He says he was then cuffed and paraded around the store "like an already convicted common criminal."

Brown says he was then thrown into a holding cell and berated for an hour.

When cops realized who he was, Brown says he was released.  And, Brown claims, cops then tried to whitewash the situation by offering to give him a police escort to his mom's graduation.

Brown says this has been a big problem with Macy's so he's filed it as a class action lawsuit.

Trooth

Macy's should file a class action suit against africans since credit card fraud "has been a big problem" with them.

pela

Ask a white person if they think every is treated equal most would say yes, ask someone of any other race most would say no, i wonder why that is (he ask sarcastically)?

Brian

Dumb. If it was NYPD how does he know Macy's was involved? They'd be more likely to have store security.

Ash

im a white female & this exact thing happened to me at macys in Houston Texas!!!! I could of sued as well But my family mostly my dad wouldnt allow it!! he would say "Ashlee we DO NOT sue people" idk hes very old scholl & sees it as tacky

george

never heard of you dude and Macys need to get off their butts and follow credit card policy by checking ID's of some sort, hell I worked in a small department store and had to check all id's when someone use a card

woodin

Any black man can shop unen***bered and without suspicion, but its the tag team of 2 black males & females that frequent my employer weekly and walk off with hundreds of dollars of clothing. We don't profile, but we dote unrelenting with customer service on individuals who act oddly and dote to disrupt their behavior......and they still pull off stealing hundreds of dollars worth of stock......

Gemma

I use to work for Macys. I observed their security watch all minorities more than they do white customers. My children are Filipino and Black. The first time my kids went in the store they were being watch and even told my co-workers to 'watch those kids'. My co-worker responded by saying those are her kids!! My kids look more Black than Filipino. They are prejudice by all means towards all minorities!

Truth

Blacks commit 80% of crimes while being 12% of the population. If you want to stop crime before it happens go after them.

sandy81

Its not that blacks steal more. Its that they're getting caught because of the fact that they're being watched.

sandy81

I if u really sit back and look you will see that white people committee more crimes than any other race they just don't get caught because no one is looking at them. But when they do its usually years of thieving and embezzlement. Whites are the dumbest yet smartest crooks.

JMHO

Good for him! I hope Macy's has to pay enough out to hurt their bottom line!

Tiffany Smith

I'm against any type of profiling. I'm black and I've been racially profiled in stores and I have never stole anything in my entire life and have the money to buy what I want and need. I also have a white friend who frequently gets followed around in stores (way more than me) because he doesn't put much thought into his appearance, and has a bum type look going on. With that being said these store police need better training and should be held to higher standards you can't judge people or make assumptions based on race, looks, or etc. because my friend that dresses like a bum is a millionaire. It's not race thing with me wrong is wrong and right is right. Being profiled in a store is an uncomfortable, embarrassing feeling for ANYONE.

Tiffany Smith

April

I have something to add to this I was at a store and something went wrong with the register as I was leavening and I heard a woman behind me in line scream at me oh you let the white girl through and now the registers broke cause I'm black really didn't understand what I did wrong if you knew me I am far from racist I have family of all races y did I get judged what did I do wrong all I did was buy my stuff to wash my hair so I can understand being judged for my skin color and my son who is a skinny white kid who gets bullied at school cause he is white and is called a craker honkey and when I told him to tell them to leave you alone they sucker punched him and he's already a shy kid now he don't want to go to school he wants to move so its not just blacks that get judged if we can stand together and teach our kids not to hate cause of your skin color maybe things will change for the safety of our kids!!!!

burt ward

Nice, Black people find new ways to monetize their iniqities. Any shop owner out there knows that Black parents teach their children that shoplifting is not a crime because all current laws on the books were written by white men in powder white wigs. All criminal law is to be disobeyed because its all whitey's law. That's why our prisons are level jammed to the seems full of Black people. Whitey wrote the law and White enforce the law. So that's why this will just monetize crime even more. A shoplifter can just call Al Sharpton and he will fly in his personal jet to get the person released and then file the suit.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4