Shirley Mitchell

Last Surviving 'I Love Lucy' Castmember

DEAD At 94

11/13/2013 2:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1113_shirley_mitchell_i_love_lucy_dead_article_cbs_swipe
Shirley Mitchel
l, the actress who played Marion Strong, Lucy Ricardo's cackling friend on "I Love Lucy" has died.

Mitchell is the last-surviving adult castmember.  She died at age 94 of heart failure in her Westwood condo.

Marion Strong has this distinction -- she set up Lucy and Ricky on their first date.

Mitchell was no stranger to sitcoms.  She also appeared on the hit show, "Bachelor Father," playing John Forsythe's secretary.

Mitchell also played Opal Clampett on "The Beverly Hillbillies."  She also appeared on "Petticoat Junction."

Mitchell was married to pop composer Jay Livingston, who co-wrote "Mona Lisa," and won an Oscar for best song.

111313_shirley_mitchell_launch 1113_shirley_mitchell_remembering_footer

ABB

She will always be remembered for taking part in one of the most famous TV shows in history. That's pretty damned cool.

RIP

Wow ...

RIP!!!!!! My condolences to her family, friends and fans. I was and remain a big fan of the show.

KJD

Desi Arnez Jr. is still alive.

Spanky

RIP. I Love Lucy best show ever!!!!!!

Eric in L.A.

Richard Keith aka Keith Thibodeaux aka Little Ricky is still alive. He is 62. I would change your headline.

Derek

Ae you sure it was heart failure, or did Borat push her off the stage at an awards show?

spacey

Another actress/actor from a glamorous era is gone. (but the sun will always shine on t.v.)

Thank You for the entertainment!

Dead@27

She should have tried "Vitametavegamin".

Fozzie

Seriously, what are the qualifications to be a 'reporter' for TMZ. You don't have college degrees in journalism. I wonder if anyone even has GEDs. Since fact checking is out of the question. She is not the last surviving member Richard Keith is still alive.

Xianne

I watch l Love Lucy Every single day . I've seen every episode . FYI Aaron Spelling , tori Spelling dad was in one. Episode

Xianne

Marilyn

There were years I watched every episode studying the brilliant comedy of Lucy.
I Love Lucy.

TMZCrazy

So sorry to hear this. I thought Doris Singleton, who died last year, had been the last surviving cast member. Thanks, TMZ, for posting this

Brittany

RIP. FYI Keith Thibodeaux aka little ricky is still alive

Mary Harding

She will never be forgotten I still watch I love Lucy! Great comedie. Class act relic show to watch God bless them all!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments