Make-A-Wish

Sure, Batkid's in Remission

But HE STILL HAS CANCER

11/19/2013 7:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1118_batkid_maw_getty_redesign

The Make-a-Wish Foundation has a message for the cold-hearted jerks who complained Batkid didn't deserve his bat-wish because he's in remission -- HOW DARE YOU?!!

If you haven't heard, Make-A-Wish really outdid itself -- turning San Francisco into Gotham City for 5-year-old cancer patient Miles Scott, who wanted to be Batman for a day.

Miles has been battling lymphoblastic leukemia since he was 20 months old, but some (heinous) people on the Internet have had the audacity to say he didn't deserve his wish because he's currently in remission.

Make-A-Wish rep Josh deBerge says that's just wrong, telling us ... "We would never penalize a child for getting better."

According to the rep, when Miles was referred to the foundation he met all three eligibility requirements: 1) a life-threatening medical condition, 2) between 2-and-a-half and 18 years old, and 3) hadn't received a wish from another wish-granting organization.

And Josh says that's all that matters.

Suck it, haters.

1119_batkid_saves_action_footer

Stephen K

Derek, I support your right to believe in the most deserving - how you define that term is the issue. At least you care about the sick. many are ignoring the fact Derek talks from a place of compassion wanting to help the sickest children - How have u helpd them Derek? Derek, I pray that people do not get angry with you for your opinion. Why don't those haters direct their energy to making a positive change for sick children?

Batboy united a whole city - 10s of thousands of volunteers stepped outside their selfish lives to open their hearts for a stranger. This child may have saved them! Batboy fought a great fight and 1 day of fantasy helps give him a short vacation from the pain, needles and suffering of his leukemia. Why are all the people getting so heated about one child being rewarded for a hard fight won ... for the moment? Direct your time and energy to Make-A-Wish and volunteer to help other children have one day of pleasure in a world of pain.

Justasmom

My son was diagnosed at 17 months. 3 years of chemo. Most children can't go out in public due to germs. That is why most wishes are granted after remission. Thanks for showing me how much the world doesn't know. Take your childhood away and keep yourself in the hospital. My son couldn't go to parks or public places. I am astounded by your closed mindedness.

Moose

I think the problem is that he's in remission and they just spent however much to turn a whole city into a different city and yet there are other children who are on a wait list who actually still have diseases. I wonder how many children died while waiting for this wish to be granted who had their own wishes.

KT

Don't feed the trolls; haters are going to hate. I feel sorry for them, because they are missing out on the joys of life. Unless you work for the Make-a-Wish foundation, you have no right to tell them who deserves it or not! <3

Mickey

I watched TMZ Live yesterday and heard the comment about the little boy is in remission and the comment that followed. My son had leukemia and was in remission for about 2 yrs. It came back and he had to have a transplant. Which my oldest son was the doner. A yr after transplant my my son passed away. You never know how it will end. So I'm very glad the little boy got his make a wish. With all he went through he deserved that and more. P.S. My son got a make a wish granted he got to meet Tony Hawk at the Staples Center. He was in remission then to. He's been gone 8 yrs this Feb and he was 14 when he passed. Just wanted to share my comment and a little bit of my son.

moonshadow64

Derek The Lawyer is as stupid as he is heartless and evil. Did he expect Batkid to actually participate in his wish while he was going through chemo therapy and/or radiation??? I have not had cancer, but I DO know people who've been through it and heard how physically draining it is. Derek is proof that a college education doesn't necessarily make one smarter (or more compassionate for others). I hope that douchebag doesn't have any children of his own.

Meghan

As the mother of a child with Leukemia, I promise the doubters that remission really means nothing. My daughter went into remission after 1 month. After that, she needed 7 blood transfusions, 5 platelet transfusions, hundreds of doses of chemo, anesthesia, spinal taps, she almost died twice and so much more that I can't even write it all. Not to mention, she still has an entire year left of treatment. Remission, especially with Leukemia, is more a technicality than anything.

double d

He deserved every second. ****ing trolls

LayasMom

He absolutely deserved his wish. You have no idea how much children with life threatening illness suffer. As a parent of a child with a life- threatening illness. The kids have to be healthy enough to be able to enjoy their wish. Which has to be certified by their doctor. Just because he is in remission does not mean he's cured. Im so happy that he got his wish and was able to enjoy it!!!

Sher

Anybody who has EVER battled cancer or had a loved one do so, would understand that remission is not "not" having cancer anymore, it is just more of the same, without the threat being QUITE so imminent. This poor child has known almost NO normalcy in his life, let some of that be FUN abnormal for a change! You go bat-kid!! And to those of you who would deny him this, go bang!!

jo41465

Why not ask sly stallone about what he thinks about bat-kid and what derek said. See what Rocky says.

Tammy

Really??? This totally pisses me off. These kids deserve everything they get for all the hell they go thru battling these diseases. My daughter is fighting brain cancer right now and is going thru pure hell every week. So if you don't feel this boy deserves this trip then put yourself in his shoes for one day of chemotherapy and vomiting and being so sick you can't lift a hand. Then you tell me that he does not deserve it!!

Candi

Bat kid rocks .glad u got your wish

sunshine

Batkid. had Derek ever had Chemo he would know you cant be around people while going through the procedure , and most people don't even have the strength to do anything . So it would be impossible to go and do anything . The best time to do the wish would be in remission

matt

I don't think anyone should be saying the kid doesn't deserve the wish. He is a kid. That being said...like usual....blame the media here for this outcry. I read a few different stories about Batkid when this happened and NONE of them mentioned he was in remission. Matter of fact, I believe the stories said he was taken off treatment. That implies he had limited time to live....NOT that he was in remission. It was misleading to say the least. I did not know Make A Wish granted wishes to children who were in remission. I don't have a problem with it....but didn't know that. Blame the media here.