Original 'Sound of Music' Actress

Live Special Was 'Painful to Watch'

12/6/2013 7:57 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1206-kym-karath2
Gretl Von Trapp from the original "The Sound of Music" movie was left "mystified and disappointed" after last night's live remake on NBC ... and says Carrie Underwood TOTALLY BOMBED!!

Gretl a.k.a. Kym Karath met up with former co-star Charmian Carr (Liesl Von Trapp) to watch the special last night ... but their excitement deflated once "Sound" started.

1206-subasset-charmian-carr
During the special Kym tweeted, "Mystified & disappointed so far by SOM special. So far only happy with Stephen Moyer" ... then followed up by saying, "Must admit some scenes are actually painful to watch."

That's when Karath kicked things up a notch by roasting Underwood's performance adding, "Love Carrie Underwood but this role is just not right for her. She is lovely her voice is beautiful but acting is wrong."

For what it's worth ... the special brought in HUGE ratings for NBC with 18.5 million viewers.

aemish

Ugh! I can't believe I lasted 17 seconds!

Cactus Rose

Two jealous old broads. Carrie was awesome and has a tremendous voice. Performing live on TV in front of that many people is daunting to say the least. The entire cast pulled it off without a hitch. Brava to Carrie and cast! Boo Hoo to the old crabby hags!

Alexandra

Now I know what an unpleasant person that cute little girl grew up into, I'll probably never watch the movie again!

somethingbeautiful71

Not a fan of the NBC version. Was enjoyable but when remakes are done each person has a favorite. Was just not my cup of tea.

cmaglaughlin

I once sang with the real Maria Von Trapp! Little did I realize who this distinguished looking and fine singer was, standing and singing next to me, until she was introduced to the crowd by my pastor, Kathryn Kuhlman.

jane

I am stunned this is news, I do not care what this child/woman thinks.I have seen the original and remember at the time thinking how "wooden" the kids acted. This family has made a living off of the singing and dancing THAT WAS NOT GOING ON DURING WW2. We tried to bring back the boys to there hometowns with love and so much happiness they made it alive. Now I have to hear about one family complain,a family that has made money singing about a "Dancing musical escape" . I know of a family that escaped, half the family made it, barbed wire and bombs were what they encountered. Please do not give these mean celebrity seeking ungrateful people anymore time.

Lily Daisy

If anyone ever saw the original Sound of Music, they would have been horribly disappointed in this version. While Carrie has a striking voice, this part called for beauty and subtlety in each song, plus a tenderness and sweetness throughout that Carrie didn't display. It was indeed painful to watch and we chose to change the channel rather than wade through it. Whoever chose the singers/actors really missed the mark. Sorry!

elad

When did these cute kids become critics and cranky old women. This was not a movie film thousands of times and edited hundreds of times over countless months. I was never a fan of the movie and after these comments will not likely ever watch it again. I will pull out my DVD and wath the live version. Carrie Underwood and the entire cast did an amazing job on live televion. It was an entertaining and enjoyable 3 hours of good family TV. For all the haters, use your remote control leave the rest of us watch good TV.

elad

When did these cute kids become cranky old women. This was nat a movie filmed thousands of times and edited hundreds times over a countless number of months. I really was never a fan of the movie and after these comments will not likely ever watch it again. This was live TV. Carrie Underwood and the whole cast did an amazing job. It was a very entertaining 3 hours of good family friendly TV and to claim it was painful seems very self absorbed. For all the haters, use your remote control and let the rest of enjoy good televion.

pianorocks

In my opinion they should have had Sierra Boggess be the part of Maria and not Carie Underwood, because...shall I say it? She can't act. Sierra Boggess would have been the right choice for it to be a great special!

Starbum

You are hard to look at!

anonymous

Ooo. I didn't watch it but this clip is great. Carrie, you go girl! I don't want to see a duplicate of the old one. I've seen that one. I want to see something new. This is it.

Brian

Let's see, and this is coming from someone who has not had an acting career since she was a little girl? She needs to SHUT IT!

Brian

This comment of criticism is coming from someone who has not had a acting career since she was a child? She needs to SHUT IT!

annie

oh STFU snob lady! this true-has-been is jealous about Carrie being on TV and not herself. Carrie was not great, HOWEVER, she didn't bomb. To say she bombed is an insult deserving of only those who screw up songs and lines. This lady needs to go watch her performance from a hundred years ago for the thousandth time, crying in her wine, and leave Carrie alone, she did FINE!