Original 'Sound of Music' Actress

Live Special Was 'Painful to Watch'

12/6/2013 7:57 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1206-kym-karath2
Gretl Von Trapp from the original "The Sound of Music" movie was left "mystified and disappointed" after last night's live remake on NBC ... and says Carrie Underwood TOTALLY BOMBED!!

Gretl a.k.a. Kym Karath met up with former co-star Charmian Carr (Liesl Von Trapp) to watch the special last night ... but their excitement deflated once "Sound" started.

1206-subasset-charmian-carr
During the special Kym tweeted, "Mystified & disappointed so far by SOM special. So far only happy with Stephen Moyer" ... then followed up by saying, "Must admit some scenes are actually painful to watch."

That's when Karath kicked things up a notch by roasting Underwood's performance adding, "Love Carrie Underwood but this role is just not right for her. She is lovely her voice is beautiful but acting is wrong."

For what it's worth ... the special brought in HUGE ratings for NBC with 18.5 million viewers.

Sara

wow, bitter much! I loved it! no she isnt the best actress but i thought she did exceptionally and loved it!

Christina

For someone in the movie knows nothing about the play. The play hit Broadway in 1959 the film was made in 1965. Last night was based off the original play. Maybe they need to educate themselves before speaking or tweeting.

Amber Miles

Loved it!! :) love Carrie Underwood and I think she did amazing! !

Plumeria

I just watched the clip here, and loved the singing. But the orchestra was ahead of the singers. I have accompanied singers before, and you always follow the singer, not make them try to catch up to you.

Oogie

Kym Karath was a better actor at 5 years old than Carrie Underwood is today. A painful train wreck

Matty

Yes. I agree. WEhen youre on a soundstage adn can do 100 takes to get it right, it comes across better than a live performace. I thought the production was incredible. I was disappointed that the Capt. Von Trapp "Edelweiss " was omitted, as it was my late fathers fovorite portion of the story, but, hey, Kim is right. As we can see on her great work on "lost in Space" or Achie Bunker's Place" she shouldfeel the way she does. Pride goes before the fall. She has never done anything live

Joe

Kym knows if she says it was a good performance then her name won't be in the news. She knows she had to lie and say it wasn't good so she can try to get 15 more minutes of fame. It was a good performance by Carrie. Better than anything Kim has ever done.

agsb

The only thing I can say is that she had Julie Andrews seal of aproval

CelticOne

For the love of Jesus, get over it already. The world isn't going to come to an end because the Sound Of Music was remade and it's a "classic". Who cares already!

quilligan

Oh for heavens sake it was supposed to be like the stage performance s they used to have on the TV years ago. There is no comparison. Everyone wants bells and whistles but it was not supposed to have them. This was not even remotely a comparison between the two.

Kcb

I agree especially leaving out raindrops on roses. Maybe they did play it but I couldn't keep watching to find out

Kcb

No one needed bells and whistles I just wanted All the song that was to be expected

jussomeguy

From the photo, Karath was a mean, pouty, unhappy bitch Then -- and has apparently fully grown into the character Now.

RichardWad2U

This was truly one of the most AWFUL things I've ever seen. Underwood made the whole thing sound like a high school musical. I realize she was hired to attract the nation's idiot teenagers and perhaps it worked, but it was disrespectful to the other REAL actors and singers who had to perform alongside her.

Lipzzz

It was pretty bad I tried to give it a fair chance though.