Susan Boyle

I Got Asperger Syndrome

12/8/2013 10:01 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1208_susan-boyle_tmzSusan Boyle has announced she was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome sometime last year ... but says the whole thing has been one big blessing in disguise.

The "Britain's Got Talent" star made the announcement Sunday with the UK Guardian ... telling them her diagnosis was a relief -- because people will finally get a "greater understanding" of who she is.

Susan says she struggles with relationship and communicative difficulties -- but getting a grasp on her Asperger's will help her deal with those sitations better.

For those unaware -- Asperger's is a mild form of autism.

Susan adds, "Now I have a clearer understanding of what's wrong and I feel relieved and a bit more relaxed about myself."

Unbroken Chain

I have assfarters syndrome...it stinks

Sean Kelly

The APA no longer recognizes Asperger as a separate diagnosis. The same is true for Autistic Spectrum Disorders; these are no longer seen as legitimate psychiatric conditions. Only Autism remains.

Brandon

yay im glad you can get drugs and sound better.Amen

BB not bb

As if this is something physcial. All it is is a description of personality characteristics. I don't think she is mentally ill. I think she just has a mind and outlook of her own. That is what made her such a great artist all on her own.

When she tries to conform to the world, things don't mesh. That is not a bad thing. That gave her a purity and an insight that very few have. Instead of looking at what is wrong with her and calling it a disease, people should be appreciative of what is right about her.

She has a great muscial gift that she shares with the world. What more do you want from her?

Cally

Wow, so despite all the barriers she's conquered - most comprising luck in a society where typically she would never have succeeded - she's not trying out the standard "I'm being discriminated against because" thing? Fair enough, she probably really IS being discriminated against ... but "I've got Asperger's Syndrome" (where the symptoms of that are HUGELY variable - kids and adults who "prove" "ADHD" then go on to "prove" Aspergers - and if these people are all to be believed - fully 50% of the western world suffers from Aspergers syndrome (read "can't be @ssed communicating properly with others - we used to call that "being brought up badly / being an @sshole" - now it's called "Asperger's"). Hubris effects everyone, including retards like Susan Boyle. Shoulda learned to quit while you were ahead Susan. Moaning demanding ANYONEs will never get what they want, simply cos the rest of us have no intention of giving up our lives or earnings to provide you with it. You got your 15 mins of fame, either use them by selling your talent and making money, or don't. Whatever WON'T be happening, is you using you 15 minutes of fame to take money we earned honestly just because the judiciary feel sorry for you because you're ugly. That WON'T be happening, even your rapacious lawyer will tell you that. So sing and make money, or shut up and p*ss off. Just like EVERYONE ELSE has to. There's no special rules for really ugly people, not even you, Susan Boyle.

Lynn317

I saw her perform live on a TV show las t week while promoting a Christmas album ... and was amazed that after all these years of performing, Susan appeared to be terrified and frozen. Afterward when speaking with the host, she could barely talk. Very surprising knowing she have performed live so many times in recent years.
Well now it all makes sense ... hopefully she will be received with a more understanding and compassionate audience when she seems a little ill at ease in her future performance.

DiM

It's actually on the Austism Spectrum but is different and experienced differently. I have Autism in my family and my partner is Aspie. Communication is very, very tiring with my Aspie partner but I have to remember that it is moreso from their side.

BB not bb

Why can't people be singers without being stars and idols? I don't think she has stage fright if she used to sing karaoke all the time. She didn't seem scared on Britain's Got Talent. She only got insecure after people tried to change her image.

Why can't she just be who she is? Why does she have to conform to look like what is considered sexy to be considered normal? Maybe some people are more interested in hearing beautiful music than seeing a celebrity perform. I am really sick of celebrities myself.

Every time someone doesn't fit in they get a label of a mental problem. I think that is a sick aspect of society. There used to be people around who were just different and accepted that way. I don't think it is right for people to try to change others for being who they are.

Truth

CMON NOW... EVERY1 KNOWS TYSON HAS HIS FACE BEAT UP 100K TIMES AND WAS BORN FUGLY 100K TIMES MORE. HARD TO BELIEVE ANYONE WUD CLICK "GOOD DOCS". #TRUTH!!

texangirl64

God Bless her

Brenda

Only every single person in the world knew this already.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3