« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jim Brown

Kobe Broke Black Code

Doesn't Get African-American Culture

12/11/2013 8:11 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

NFL legend Jim Brown -- one of the most outspoken leaders in the civil rights movement -- says Kobe Bryant not only betrayed Shaq, but African-American men in general ... and it all stems from the rape investigation in Colorado.

Brown appeared on the Arsenio Hall show and went right after Kobe -- saying, "He threw Shaq under the bus" ... referring to when Kobe told investigators Shaq would pay up to $1 million to women to keep them quiet about "situations like this" back in 2003.

Shaq patched things up with Kobe publicly, but Brown is clearly still upset by the situation -- essentially telling Arsenio that it's hard enough for a black man in America, without having to worry about being dimed out by another black man.

"[Kobe] is somewhat confused about culture, 'cause he was brought up in another country ... so it doesn't quite fit what's going on here in America."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

bkjames

I don't understand all the Jim Brown hate going on here. He's commenting on Kpbe's snitching, not about keeping rape quiet. How do I know? Because there WAS no rape! When Kobe mentions "situations like these", I think he means keeping scandals quiet, not rape.

Factual

She wanted it.......

wow ew

It's because of ignorant N*ggers like this that Black people don't get any respect in this country. GET OUT OF THE "BLACK BOX"... oh wait.. There is NONE!

-A "Black" Person.

daytonblood

Jim Brown must have taken the blue pill..."morpheus"

reger

Is he still alive?

Hot Dumb Italian Mike

He was great on "the White Shadow"!

John

I love and respect Jim Brown. I was about twelve years old when I saw him in 100 Rifles, and his strength and integrity definitely shined through in his performance. I could never forget that.

Unfortunately, since the Black culture began to disintegrate after the King era, I could very well see how "new" Blacks (especially those born after 1980) do not respect or understand his view.

It's okay for Indians, Europeans, Spanish people, Canadians, or, heck, any other sector of people to have and demonstrate cultural pride, but it's an entirely different view or lack of acceptance of Black culture.

JAG II

Black code? Give me a break Jim.

itzkathy

WHEN did Jim Brown start working for Al Sharpton???? Gotta keep those blacks where he wants them....DOWN AND OUT ON THE GOVT. dole!!!!

Ernest DeBrew

I really do not sense anything racial about that. Kobe probably turned against Shaq because Shaq was wrong. I am a black male and if I know that someone, whether he is black or another race, doing wrong, I cannot support him either. I do not want to go down with him.

Buster

If you don't fall in line with a woman beater, then you are doing just fine Kobe.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3