« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Georges St-Pierre

Officially Gives Up UFC Title

Amid Personal Crisis

12/13/2013 12:08 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1213_-Georges-St-Pierre-article-getty

Georges St-Pierre just OFFICIALLY relinquished his title as reigning UFC welterweight champion ... after stepping away from the sport to handle all sorts of issues in his personal life.

The move comes roughly 1 month after GSP defended his title at UFC 167 -- where he made a cryptic announcement about his problems outside the octagon.

TMZ Sports broke the story ... GSP knocked up a woman in Canada and she wants to keep the baby ... and the issue has been driving GSP crazy.

GSP's father is also sick ... and it's derailed him.

Today, GSP made it official ... saying he's stepping away from the sport indefinitely ... saying, "I need to have a normal life for a bit."

He said, "I believe one day I will come back ... I can't put myself through another training camp right now. I don't want to make anybody wait."

As for GSP's belt, the UFC announced Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler will fight for the title at UFC 171 in March.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

ArchAngelWC

Again with the libel.....His father isnt sick (that was confirmed) and the pregnancy thing is also BS (also confirmed)....You are publishing material you know to be false and defaming his character....I really hope he sues you...I would love to see Harvey try to pull the "I'm a Lawyer" shtick in a Montreal Court....

Tongue tied purple

Maybe he's contracted HIV and is trying to keep it hushed so he opted to back out before getting called out/forced out..?

Big Mark 91

Doesn't want to come out of the closet yet.

mofodisco

He isn't the champ anyway...

Ksmbrad

Good for him. Go out on top and save the legacy. Don't get beat and look like a chump

Jerod

Hendricks will kill Lawler...

jack

one of the best fighters there is. out of all the stories i heard, no one trained like st pierre did. guy would train his body to death. i admire his love n dedication to mma. so sorry you got punched so many times u think aliens abducted you bc u lost time u cant remember. it sucks but st pierre, silva have to lose eventually. time for bones, cain, and aldo to be the franchise faces

Slim Shady

Gsp always the greatest fighter and will be very well known in the future as a legend

Umanyways

Don't have casual bareback sex! It affects lives!