Suge Knight

Call Me a Ni**a

Not An African American

12/16/2013 10:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

121613_suge_knight_launch_v2
Suge Knight is offended when people call him African American, because he's NOT African.  On the other hand, he doesn't have a problem with the word, "Ni**a."

Suge says it's offensive to label all Black people African American.  And he goes further ... he thinks it's ridiculous that only rappers can use the word, "Ni**a."  He thinks if it can be used by some, it should be used by all.

At first his theory sounds a little shocking, but maybe he has a point.

So we gotta ask...

BLACK AND PROUD

I agree with Charles, the results you have are not coming from African American. The people who are voting would like for it to be ok, to just call someone the n word. TMZ should really think about taking the pole down. Interview some non rappers, that don't make their MONEY from saying this word!!!

Doug Willis

I typically watch your show out of boredom. Lately, I haven't watched, because I feel your content has become cheesy and inappropriate. Your ratings must be dropping! Your controversy about Suge Knight is ridiculous and offensive. Perhaps you put up your "survey" to help promote a controversial, ridiculous topic to help boost your ratings. Sad. I would love to know exactly who participated in the "poll." It doesn't speak well of your decision making thought process. Thank God for Charles, and the young lady who spoke by video. What a shame this is what you have come to. If you want to lose your entire African American audience, keep it up. I suspect that might be the case soon. I won't be watching anymore. You all need to get a grip. Nothing you said, made any sense to any normal, rational person.

PainfulTruth

What a bias pole! Why do we whites keep asking such a question? If you have to ask, then you know its wrong, what a rhetorical question!!! The majority of this pole, was no doubt, answered by whites, that probably hates blacks; they want to use the word to feel a sense of hurting blacks, and to demean them. The average person with intelligence, know that such a name, that has been labeled and viewed as derogatory, should not be used. It seems like the modern day white person is trying to tell blacks, that they want to use this word and that blacks should not be upset because rappers use this word. Not every black person is a rapper, rap is art (whether some of you agree or not; rap is an expression, imitation; lyrics) not all black people use this word. Is there a poll asking what whites should be referred to, or other races? So many races believe that they can keep using blacks as guinea pigs, and punching bags. Even after 500 years of legalized slavery, burnt alive, rape, and killings, some still will not allow blacks to rest.

PainfulTruth

TMZ should be boycotted. On any given day, they pay Suge Knight no attention, but because they want continue to humiliate, abuse, and torture blacks, with words, and get away with it, they choose to use Suge Knight as a scapegoat. If you check their archives, they probably have all negative stories about Suge Knight. Why would you stoop so low to put up a poll, when you know the answer? Oh I see, for people like me to answer this and so that you can get more hits to your website. Such idiots, that's like asking a gay male, do you want to be called a ***got, a bitch, a ***, or just gay? But if you put up that poll, you can get boycotted; however, you seem to think its ok to always use black people, and one segment of their culture to demoralize it.

RJ Marshall

How about black? I'm surprised black wasn't an option.

Black and white are broader and more accurate terms than African-American--and NOTHING good comes from ANYONE using the "n" word!

But, Some black folks have ancestry from, say the West Indies, so they're not African-American.
Or, IMHO, isn't a white person born in South Africa and now a US citizen an African-American?
So is someone who has never been to Africa, let alone born in Africa, an African-American? I'm white, but I don't feel European-American--at all!

I can't speak to the black experience. I don't know that pain and the struggles black folks still face. The same goes for gay folks-I don't know their pain.

But, with I was thinking both those communities have embraced formerly abusive words (the "n" word and the "q" word) and it hasn't seemed to DEFLATE THE STING of those words; and wasn't that the point?Use of those words, even within their respective communities, has only seemed to be a drag on young blacks and young gays self-esteem. Just a thought, IMHO.

Marie Johnson

delorb

Suge is an acknowledged thug and criminal. He's the last person to ask about what is RIGHT or WRONG. He's also shows his ignorance (along with someone Harvey's age), about the usage of African American. Its because we were taken from AFRICA, and have no idea where our ancestors are from. That Kenyan from the 21st century, KNOWS. The 5th generation black American does not. That is why its used. And trust me, if some random white person walks up to Suge and calls him the n-word, he's going to go off. No one should use the word. Especially non-black people. Why? Because you'll never know if your homie will get offended by it. They may be angry because you beat them at a video game, but they'll SAY its because you used that word one too many times.

Marie Johnson

Okay I am watching this on TMZ Live right now...I am 45 white, that grew up across the railroad tracks in Houston's 5th ward...So I find this conversation utterly ridiculous and funny...your reporter saying it is totally wrong is way off basis, black or not....he needs to get out in the real world...like Suge Knight said depends on how and who and when it's used....the poll is right it is a laid back cool way to approach one another here in Texas... living in Houston and Dallas both 90% of my friend's are black and sorry the "N***A" word is so common in the Black community and white's that are friend's use it to as well as Mexican's.....it is NO difference than walking up and saying bro, brother, buddy, it is NOT FROWNED UPON, you don't walk up do your hand jive and say wutz up African American that is absurd and funny as hell to say that .... the other reporter saying he grew up with it and heard it all the time....I agree 100% and it is NOT in just music I hear it everyday greetings.....I am 45 so it isn't about a younger generation.....I'm sorry Charles is way off basis as a black man really get with the program this is part of the problem.... as far as in the public...that maybe his choice...but when your walking in a store and see a friend they do it...that is public...no one stops and stares or says oh that so offensive it is a way of life...can't we all get along...

ICE JONES

TO THE FAT DUDE NEXT TO THE HOST, YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT DEATH ROW AS IF THEY REPRESENTED ALL BLACK PEOPLE, THEY WERE DROP OUTS GANG MEMBERS AN IN THE STREETS, RAPPING FROM THEIR VIEW, YOU LOOK LIKE YOU WANT TO CRACK THE CODE SO MUCH SO YOU CAN USE IT, AND THAT'S SAD, AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GET THAT SUGE IS SOMEBODY WITH POWER IT'S OVER HE 10YRS PASS DONE WHERE DID Y'ALL BUMP INTO HIM AT BURGER KING, THIS POLL IS STUPID AN Y'ALL DONE LOST Y'ALL DAM MIND.

peterfrady

I have never seen Charles so upset to which I agree... There is no good reason "er" or "a" to ever wear as a badge of honor, placed upon the Black Race by the WASP Oppressor...
In Boston it had one meaning, just as F. Lee Bailey. He was a kid in a candy store during the OJ trial view his cross of Furman..
Use that N word is any context is the lazy brain talking...

peterfrady

Additionally..., me thinks that black hair dye has gone to Suges brain

Arete

He can speak for himself.

Shaun

Its pretty ignorant of TMZ to put up a poll asking whether to call black people N*ggas or African American... regardless of whatever suge knight said (as if he is a measuring tool for all of the black world...) you all should know better than this and I hope it gets backlash #ignorance

lovely737

First off you posted this question because of a gangster killer's ignorant words he stupid for saying it because we all came from african decent with his dumb ass you wonder why white people still call us stupid n****s

Isaiah Frost

You *******'s only have two options, and one of them is offensive you piece **** ass news site.