Chuck D

Listen Up White America ...

We Ain't 'Ni**as'

12/18/2013 12:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1217-chuck-d-getty
Public Enemy frontman Chuck D has a message for anyone buying into Suge Knight's take on the n-word -- tossing around that epithet is vile and disrespectful to the Civil Rights movement ... no matter how much it's overused in popular music today.

As we reported, Suge proposed a controversial idea this week -- eliminating the term "African-American" ... because he feels it's inaccurate ... and instead going with "ni**a."

121613_suge_knight_launch_v2
Chuck D agrees "African-American" isn't a perfect term since a white person could technically be African-American too -- but insists the n-word ... with an 'a' or 'er' ... is too rooted in bloody history and oppression to be used loosely.

Put more poetically by Chuck -- "Being called Black in America is the struggle to keep us moving and breathing over bloody water. Being a Nig**r or [Ni**a] without the context of history is like drowning in bloody water, dragging down those yet knowing to swim."

Chuck D, a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, added -- he thinks rappers show a lack creativity when they use the n-word "more than 3 times a song. It's lazy. Especially when out of context."

In other words ... don't believe the hype.

donald keith

you may not be but knight is!

en Todo Momento!!

it's true though. black people/african americans/historical settlers from africa have very independently transformed the very malicious use of the 'nword' into a word they use to define themselves in a cultural context. they made this word what it is today, out of like the broken pieces of who they were. and now everyone thinks they have the same right to use it, simply because 'they use it'. do i drive your car around town, because you do? because your whole family does? no. you'd call me a thief if i did. using the nword because black people use it is not a good enough reason. when white people use it it is racist. it's that simple.

Tamie M

Does saying it with a "a" count as a whole time in all of these rap songs? Or just with an "er" Give me a break. If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black (no pun intended HAHA) I don't know what is. Suge had it right, when the rappers stop making it a commonality then everyone should stop saying it. All words are dependent on the context they are used. You can make any word when using it for hate sound like the n word. Come on people, not to mention being raised around black people that taught me that if you think it's wrong you don't say it at all, whether it's 2 black people calling each other that as "My n..." or being pissed calling someone "n" If it's offensive then it's offensive plain and simple. Just because you are a certain race doesn't mean you can pick and choose. Take some responsibility for desensitizing everyone to the word all by yourselves, look at who uses it more than anyone else.. Maybe if a certain race didn't use it as every other word out of their mouth it wouldn't be said so often.

Ben

There is definitely a person known as an "N" word. We see them every day. The problem in calling yourself the "N" word is, it reduces you to the Amos & Andy routine. Why not be--an American of African descent.

She's baaaack

... and while you're at it don't even start that "slave" sh1t. Slaves had to work without mercy for every single morsel in their stomachs, every single thread on their backs, and every minute of sleep they got. You're about as far as it gets from slavery my ni99a.

tank rollins

how a bout BOOFER?

bla

****ing *****s

mike

You be calling yourself's ni**a.....Stop you be WWaaaa they called me.. Shut up and stop crying son. We just pick it up from your mouth's homeboy's..But anyway's I prefer to use the words of wisdom ( What's up BRO ) It's universal..Get a life move on wasting your time on words useless.Here try this NI**A's STICKS AN STONES WILL BRAKE MY BONES----BUT NO WORD WILL EVER HURT ME....hahaha you guys are funny

Drew

Yes Chuck you are, stop calling each other that name and I will stop calling you that name.

jim

stop using the race card. Blacks were fighting for equal rights. And they call each other the n word but it's just ok for them to call each other that but If I do it It's not ok that's wrong. I don't think anyone should be using that black or white but by Keeping the word around it's their way of reminding us about the past. I was not part of the past ,and anyway who helped free the blacks it was not just blacks it was a lot of other groups of people. todays blacks were not slaves so they need to move on and quit blaming me and everyone else for something that most of todays blacks were not part of. you don't like the n word then quit using it and call me white not cracker

jim

stop using the race care. Blacks were fighting for equal rights. And they call each other the n word but it just ok for them to call each other that, but If I do it It's not ok that's wrong. I don't think anyone should be using it but by Keeping the word around it's their way of reminding us about the past. I was not part of the past ,and anyway who helped free the blacks it was not just blacks it was a lot of other groups of people. todays blacks were not slaves, so they need to move on and quit blaming me and everyone else for something that I was not part of and most of todays blacks were not part of. you don't like the n word then quit using it and call me white not cracker.

WaikikiWayne

Wrong again.... Yes you are.

Crunkatlanta

That's Suge preference.. Then so be it.. Not all blacks want to be called that... Try it if u like ... That's your ass whopping..

Jon

I dont agree with all the comments made by "Suge" but i Do agree that white or black, No-one should use the "N" Word "er" or "a".NOT even Charles or racquel. rap music and comedians made this word accessible and it "seemed" to have lost its historic significance.
also, on another note, in my world the older generation "Shuffle"( its called arthritis and muscle atrophy), criminals in chains and yes Slaves. but the word shuffling is not owned by any one race creed or colour.? I sometimes think the fight against racism is going backwards in USA. I would like to think that is not the case. - Cant we all just get along??

John