'Ellen'

Man Dies

After Winning Australian Trip On TV Show

12/19/2013 8:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1218_mcgraw_wife_article_tmz
A Marine died in a parachute accident last weekend -- during a trip his wife won on the "Ellen" show.

1218-ellen-Cherilyn

Cherilyn McGraw won a trip to Australia on "Ellen" last January.  Cherilyn and her husband, Gunnery Sgt. Brandon McGraw, took the trip last week.  On Saturday, the two of them went skydiving in the same plane.  Cherilyn made a tandem jump, but Brandon was experienced and followed by jumping solo.

An employee from the skydiving school tells TMZ ... approximately 300 feet from the ground, Brandon's parachute suddenly caused him to turn radically right and left and he crashed to the ground.  He was pronounced dead at the scene.

1218_brandon_mcgraw_wife_article_facebook
Cherilyn posted a message on Facebook with photos inside the plane before the jump, saying, "My hero. My angel.  These are truly such symbolic photos.  He was happy and doing what he loved."

LeeFromMA

This is just so sad that the family and friends of this young man have to sit here and read some of these insensitive comments. I know about this all too well, with my local paper that put a story about my son who was murdered. I was a blogger before this incident and to read all the nasty comments was horrible. I despised every single incognito blogger for talking crap behind a computer screen, and I still despise it.
To the friends and family, I'm very sorry for your loss. It is tragic to say the least. Please don't read any comments from anything online other than the book from the funeral parlor. Cause some people are cruel and rude.

Sincerely, Lee From Massachusetts. May Brandon Rest In Paradise.

paul a.

The accident is terrible. I feel bad for everyone involved. but the facebook post seems creepy to me

elizabeth

Like his wife said he was doing what he loved :(

Sean Kelly

You imbeciles... ELLEN didn't give the skydiving as a gift, she gave a trip to Australia as a gift. Bringing Ellen into this is just embarrassing for TMZ.... why not mention the airline that flew them or the hotel that they were staying in? Both were more proximal to the accident then the Ellen Show. You guys are just mad at Ellen because she had Julia Roberts on who dismissed your pregnancy story leaving you looking foolish for the rampant speculation that you use in place of real information.

Sean Kelly

AND you gay pricks... the GUY didn't win the trip, his wife did.

Dawn

Ellen gave away the trip to Australia, it was their choice to do what they wanted there, skydiving being one of the choices. That decision had nothing to do with Ellen.

me

I'm curious why he has a Canadian flag on his harness

MissBrandyGreen

No question that this is a terrible tragedy but aside from winning a trip, it was their decision to skydive...which IS dangerous and something that you do at your own risk. Ellen didn't make them skydive. I also agree with someone else who wrote on here that I hope TMZ reports on it and then lets it go-unlike the CONSTANT Paul Walker articles and repetitive reports.

Kabala

People who jump out of planes are fools - just saying.

Cinner

This is so sad! Ellen is so generous! What a horrible thing to happen!

Olivia

This is really sad, rip...I kind of feel bad for Ellen. She's such a sweet heart...I hope she doesn't think it's her fault that he died, cause it's not. I love you Ellen.

Sharpy, the sailor man

What was the last thing that went through his mind?.... Ans: The ground

Sean Kelly

HE DIDN'T WIN THE TRIP HIS WIFE DID... BLAME HER.

jenlolo

Wait so throwing yourself from an airplane is dangerous .. now you are going to tell me that DUI kills ppl... Can you feel my sarcasm????

MTV.1985

Wow tmz I usually have respect but the way you've spun this story is inexcusable. Ellen gave them a Holliday how can you make like she somehow rewarded people into a death trap? This is a tragedy from all angles but how can you word something in such an inaccurate accusatory way. Just wrong.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments