Matthew Perry

I'll NEVER Bury the Hatchet

with Peter Hitchens

12/20/2013 6:21 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

122013_matthew_perry_launch
Matthew Perry is engaged in a war with a British journalist ... a war that has no end in sight -- and it's all over how the U.K. treats drug and alcohol addicts.

Perry was at LAX yesterday when we brought up his fiery exchange with Peter Hitchens on BBC's "Newsnight" ... in which Hitchens (who believes in stronger punishments for drug users) argued that addiction is nothing more than a "fantasy."

During the show, Hitchens went off on Perry and another guest ... saying, "Well you two believe in this fantasy of addiction, a complete fantasy, in which people lose all power over themselves and become victims of this terrible, frightening disease after which they cannot stop taking drugs. If you really believe that then you would presumably think that the best thing would be they never ever come in contact with those drugs."

Perry was furious ... calling his comments "ludicrous" and explaining, “I'm a drug addict. I'm a person that, if I have a drink, I can't stop. And so it would be following your ideology that I'm choosing to do that.”

Hitchens agreed.

Now that a few days have passed and the two have had a chance to cool down, we asked Perry if there was a chance they could ever be friends.

Perry made it clear ... Hitchens shouldn't ever expect a Christmas card.

122013_bbc_launch2

CremeBrulee

I agree that once he starts he can't stop and that is not his choice. It is his choice to take the FIRST drink/drug, though. Imho.

damienevil

who?

jim

Trying to convince a recovering addict that there is no such thing as addiction is equivalent to telling an airlines pilot that there is no such thing as manned flight. This exchange furthers the perception that the British mental health care calendar is still stuck at about 1885.

fenuchi

Many people, even addicts/allies feel like it is not a disease. It is classified as one, yes, but it doesn't help to play the victim.
We made our choices. The decision to use comes from a sober mind.

Usagi-chan

Addiction is real but acting as if he doesn't have any responsibility for his actions is an entirely different thing.

ThirdFromTheLeft

Hitchens can moralize all he wants - doesn't change the fact that it costs a whole lot more money to process a drug addict through the criminal justice system than to provide treatment and /or harm reduction.
Portugal stopped criminalizing addicts in 2001... not only have addiction rates, and new cases of HIV dropped dramatically in the last decade... They've also saved a **** load of money.

Jackie

Typical addicts who can't handle the truth.

Mikey

Whats this got to do with Duck Dynasty?!

Being a drug addict isn't disease, its something you brought on yourself, you've trained you body to feel good with the drugs and bad without the drugs. Stop bitch to everyone about what you brought on yourself.

Mikey

I'm a drug addict and an alcoholic but its not my fault.......Its an allergy. LOL

James R. - Los Angeles

I don't care if someone is an addict or alcoholic. Just don't try to drag my family and friends down with you into your personal hell. And should you break into my home to steal my things to sell to support your habit, you'll answer to a 12 gauge.

hopper33

This guy should be forced to injest narcotics for a week. I'd like to see his thoughts on his theory then, and if he can personally apply and make them work.

Lina

We lost the better Hitchens.

EastCoastChopper

You just know Hitchens is one of those Brits who is sitting with a pint at 9 am...and every 40 minutes til his head hits the pillow at 11 PM. But of course, that's a lifestyle, not an addiction.

EastCoastChopper

Matt has always tried so hard to present the "smug intellectual- artist" persona...even back when he was acting (on marginal levels) ....Reminds me of Afleck but with less of a sense of humor. Just look at how he acts toward the photog - much less the Hitchens cat.

bernergirl

Atleast Perry isn't a uptight selfish a-hole. It takes a lot to admit your weakness. Go Matt!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments