Robin Roberts

No Secret She Was Gay

12/30/2013 6:41 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1230_Robin-Roberts
Robin Roberts
-- who came out yesterday -- has been open about her sexuality for years ... she just didn't feel the need to go public until now.

Sources close to Robin tell TMZ ... everyone in her life -- both personally and professionally -- knew she was gay and in a 10-year relationship with Amber Laign.  The 2 of them met in San Francisco through mutual friends.

Amber is a massage therapist who specializes in helping people with injuries.

As for their relationship ... our sources say Amber was utterly devoted to Robin when she went through both of her illnesses -- breast cancer in 2007 and Myelodysplastic Syndrome in 2012.  Robin was extremely ill and we're told Amber was her rock.

1230-robin-roberts-espn2
As for why Robin came out yesterday ... we're told she never felt the need to tell the world, but at the end of such a difficult year she wanted to acknowledge what Amber did for her.

We're told the illnesses strengthened an already strong bond.

beachgal

Guess I never noticed because I don't look at people according to who they want as companions. All the hate is pretty sick, though... why waste energy hating people you don't know, makes no sense

Jay

Did you ever consider that maybe it was the partner that did not want to be out there? It is all and good to think that she should have come out sooner but it is so much complicated then that. You may be excepting but network and people are fickle and it is a very personal thing. If I show you my house I do not have to show you every room in my house. You never know what the conversations were with her partner.

Jay

Another black who prefers white meat. And who didn't know she's gay, it's quite obvious, she's manly and dykey. I've never liked her on the news show and have only caught her on it while clicking around, but it's obvious she's a dyke.

INTHEZONE

i wonder what their favorite position is

miss_msry

I wasn't aware she was IN the closet.

gary smith

why is the need to reveal one's sexuality part of acknowledging a friensa help????

shawnman

Robins

shawnmann

Robin's GF has BEAUTIFUL FEET

moore

Robin's GF hs BEAUTIFUL FEET!!!WOW

STFU

Just DISGUSTING!!!!

Questdelsangraal

No secret I even care.

DirkDiggler

I knew she was a diver a long time ago. When a woman looks like a P E coach, she's a lezzie.

marmar

Omg she is gay WHAT is a big deal dam#

derrick

Carpet munchiers delight

Troy T

Ewwwwwww someone goes down on that ewwwwww