Robin Roberts

No Secret She Was Gay

12/30/2013 6:41 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1230_Robin-Roberts
Robin Roberts
-- who came out yesterday -- has been open about her sexuality for years ... she just didn't feel the need to go public until now.

Sources close to Robin tell TMZ ... everyone in her life -- both personally and professionally -- knew she was gay and in a 10-year relationship with Amber Laign.  The 2 of them met in San Francisco through mutual friends.

Amber is a massage therapist who specializes in helping people with injuries.

As for their relationship ... our sources say Amber was utterly devoted to Robin when she went through both of her illnesses -- breast cancer in 2007 and Myelodysplastic Syndrome in 2012.  Robin was extremely ill and we're told Amber was her rock.

1230-robin-roberts-espn2
As for why Robin came out yesterday ... we're told she never felt the need to tell the world, but at the end of such a difficult year she wanted to acknowledge what Amber did for her.

We're told the illnesses strengthened an already strong bond.

LAURIE

I wish them both well. Now they can live a life they deserve not hide. I actually feel congratulations are in order, she's just ses like such a wonderful women and has been through so much.

thehawk1619

Like we didn't know she was a rug muncher!

UNLV1990

Robin and Phil do agree on one thing. People can't we all celebrate what brings us together!

Taunya

I dont understand what the bih deal is. I love Robin but hearing that she is gay is like hearing that Elton John is gay...DUH!

Kelly

Another coward who sat in the closet during the gay marriage civil rights movement. Thanks for nothing. Although, the gay establishment are such lap dogs they'll probably make her head of the gay brain trust, grand marshall of the parade, and put her on the cover of the Advocate.

Machelle

It was gross yesterday and its still gross today. No longer a fan.

carmon2121

Too little too late Robin Roberts. The public already knew you were gay. Find another way to thank your girlfriend. What a cheap cop-out Robin!!!

Metta Worldhate

We don't care. That shouldn't excuse you for being too ugly for TV, though.

Tony

I feel bad for the older generation (much like my Grandmother), who loved and supported this woman under false pretenses. Take a look at RR twitter or facebook...not one mention of this gf...not one photo. ..not ever indicating in any way that she had a gf. RR is a fake and intentionally deceived the public for sympathy...ratings and support. Shame on her!

STAYCLASSYSANDIEGO

No sh it

NoNeed2KisMyFeet

AND...Who didn't KNOW?? She looks GAY.I mean, she's wearing it like a badge. They (GAYS) all do if you ask me. NOT my bed, not my business, that's between her/them and GOD (♥ him)!!! I'm GONE.

luoyanlady@netscape.net

My family in Ann Arbor tell me that Robin Roberts had quite a bit of scandal around young girls during her tenure at University of Michigan...

luoyanlady@netscape.net

andrewacts

maybe her girlfriend wanted to stay out of the spot light and wanted the relationship to be kept private

Zug

I will no longer watch GMA, because of her life style! I will not support that life style!