Robin Roberts

No Secret She Was Gay

12/30/2013 6:41 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1230_Robin-Roberts
Robin Roberts
-- who came out yesterday -- has been open about her sexuality for years ... she just didn't feel the need to go public until now.

Sources close to Robin tell TMZ ... everyone in her life -- both personally and professionally -- knew she was gay and in a 10-year relationship with Amber Laign.  The 2 of them met in San Francisco through mutual friends.

Amber is a massage therapist who specializes in helping people with injuries.

As for their relationship ... our sources say Amber was utterly devoted to Robin when she went through both of her illnesses -- breast cancer in 2007 and Myelodysplastic Syndrome in 2012.  Robin was extremely ill and we're told Amber was her rock.

1230-robin-roberts-espn2
As for why Robin came out yesterday ... we're told she never felt the need to tell the world, but at the end of such a difficult year she wanted to acknowledge what Amber did for her.

We're told the illnesses strengthened an already strong bond.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Zug

I will no longer watch GMA, because of her life style! I will not support that life style!

JerseyJenn

Could it have been that Amber had no desire to be public? She may have been the one with the issue . I'm shocked you didn't think of that Harvey ;)

Slemon

Nice to hear of committed, caring couples instead of the dregs like Kayne and Kim.
Happiness and good health to you, Robin.
By the way, haters ... love is love.

valerie

SHOOT I KNEW SHE WAS GAY WHEN I USED TO SEE A B C SPORTS ON T V SHE DID NOT LOOK SO FEMIN LOOKING AND WHEN THEY SENT HER TO DO WHAT HAPPEN IN NEW ORLEANS WHEN KATRINA CAME SHE LOOK LIKE A TOM BOY. AND THAT WAS MY SECOND LOOK AT HER. BUT ITS TO BAD THAT HER HEALTH HAS GONE BAD BUT WITH GOD'S BLESSINGS SHE WILL SURVIVE.

preta

Like we didn't already know that for several years now. Don't know why people feel as if stuff like this is considered to be news, when in reality it's NOT. Who cares now can we get to some real news please?

JLS

I wish it was legal to spray RAID on some of these homophobes and haters here. The world would be a much better place without these types. I'm not Gay but they make me ill. Really. Let's find a way to legally get rid of them from this earth.

Rayofsunshine

What a waste of a beautiful woman, however been watching Robin for years and she is the best at her job. I'm not Gay but I feel her sexual preference as it is for everyone else, is her business. She does an excellent Kob

JOELLEN

I never understand why celebs have to make a big deal about their sexual preferences. What do they expect to gain from telling the world they are gay? When they are straight they don't have a news conference to announce it! I agree with Backofftmz....WHO CARES!!!

ladyDD

how do gay people marry on a bible that clearly says that homosexuality is an abomination......would that be a slap in God's face?

cargal

I"ve always known. Felt it was dishonest. Same with Queen Latifah. Come out and deal with it. No shame in who you are. But no one likes a liar. Like my father used to say "A sin of ommission is a sin of commission" which means just because you don't say anything doesnt mean your not lying.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9