Robin Roberts

No Secret She Was Gay

12/30/2013 6:41 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1230_Robin-Roberts
Robin Roberts
-- who came out yesterday -- has been open about her sexuality for years ... she just didn't feel the need to go public until now.

Sources close to Robin tell TMZ ... everyone in her life -- both personally and professionally -- knew she was gay and in a 10-year relationship with Amber Laign.  The 2 of them met in San Francisco through mutual friends.

Amber is a massage therapist who specializes in helping people with injuries.

As for their relationship ... our sources say Amber was utterly devoted to Robin when she went through both of her illnesses -- breast cancer in 2007 and Myelodysplastic Syndrome in 2012.  Robin was extremely ill and we're told Amber was her rock.

1230-robin-roberts-espn2
As for why Robin came out yesterday ... we're told she never felt the need to tell the world, but at the end of such a difficult year she wanted to acknowledge what Amber did for her.

We're told the illnesses strengthened an already strong bond.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

backofftmz

Who cares

Rocko

FIRST!!!!!!

lisa

Are you serious?! I'm flabbergasted, who is next Dr. Phil!?

Stacey Loflin

meh - I don't feel the need to tell people I'm straight - so not sure why this is new.

cindy

Gross, Gross Gross,,, I am so sick of hearing about gay people or that somebody came out of the closet. If you want to live as sodomites its a free country, but stop throwing your weakness of character in my face. Its no different than a pedophile bragging about his latest victim.

Tweety

Best to Robin....she is a class act!

Kristinajp

It was a secret from me. 8 conservative and I don see why we have a big deal over people's sexual preferences, it's THEIR life, lets all worry about our own lives and families, unless you talk of politics since THOSE people only care about power and not how their actions affect the rest of us.

Dfer

They met in San Francisco You say TMZ...no kidding?

portapotty

Come on TMZ, you're really milking the gay stories AND doing damage control for the home team- now you're into PR.. As far as her not feeling the need to say anything before now, her excuse is disingenuous. Who of all her colleagues DIDN'T, from time to time, acknowledge their spouses or significant others on the air? It was calculated, consciously on her part NOT to mention this on air to the viewers. At least she could be honest about that. Sheesh.

Jordan

Amber Sounds like a Special Person who really Cares about Robin, and Robin really Cares about her, Next time lets hear about the Wedding.

Clytemnestra

Love and devotion...gay people are permitted to experience it, too.

WTF

If Charlie Rose comes out of the closet, I'm gonna kill myself!

American Patriot

Shes disgusting.......glad she wont reproduce another queer child.

YouDontSay

I dont care about her sexual preference. I am glad she had someone who loved her while going through cancer.

portapotty

Why is this BREAKING NEWS???

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments