« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Torrey Smith

NFL Player Fires Off Homophobic Slur

1/3/2014 10:32 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0102-torrey-smith-01
update_graphic_red_bar
10:50 AM PT -- Torrey is standing his ground ... tweeting, "I wasn't being offensive nor am I homophobic not apologizing or taking it down."
update-grey-gray-bar
With the Chris Kluwe gay controversy raging, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith has thrust himself into the mix by hurling a homophobic slur in public.

Smith just posted a photo on Instagram featuring a man wearing pink flowery socks ... along with the caption, "Look at this queen."

Seriously.

0103-torrey-smithInteresting timing, considering Kluwe says he was blackballed from the NFL for crusading against gay hatred -- like this -- and pushing for equality.

Of course, it ain't the first time an NFL star has used a homophobic slur in public -- just last year, 49ers defensive star Chris Culliver came under serious fire after saying he wouldn't play with a gay teammate because he's not into "that sweet stuff."

We've reached out to Torrey's rep -- so far, no word back.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

teamtorrey

I guess you have nothing else to report. Just because his brother has on pink sock and he used the word queen that makes it homophobic...really get a life TMZ.

Justin Credible

Don't let the progressive liberals make up words... Homophobia is the fear of homosexuals.

There is no fear, only disgust and contempt. Do not let them redefine words as it is all part of their play book.

Call it what it is (and what over 90% of the world agrees with) ... Disdain for homosexuality... i.e. the anti-nature.

FACT: None of us would be here if homosexuality were nature's expected norm.

rotor 1

finally a man being a man instead of sensitive littl boy

R.P. McMurphy

You know, I never really gave homosexuality much thought until the last few months, and due primarily to the behavior of these people, I'm sick to death of them. In fact, I'd have to say their whole campaign is having the exact opposite affect on most people. Hell, I never really even heard of Duck Dynasty before... and now I can't get enough of the show! I want my children to grow up with love in their hearts... not the hateful homosexual way.

R.P. McMurphy

Jonas Rimmer

Oh! What horror! You homophobic, you! Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhh! (ok, I´m being ultrasarcastic. What if we rename the site to GAYMZ Sports?

buggaz

Idiot liberals wetting their panties over nutin

thomasL

Since when is a person not allowed to say what he thinks?What he said is not derogatory, there are a ton of men who would think being called a queen a compliment. It' all in the ear of the listener, everything is a nail to a hammer. Quit looking for trouble so hard, it's much easier to find, go after it where it would do some good instead of trying to build your street cred. Be a Crusader not a crusader rabbit.

Edstoby

Cannot be serious,, Freedom of speach? Not anymore. My wife calls me all sorts of crap, but its a joke, we laugh, I repeat it to someone else. Everybody gets offended. Not only do we have to except everything socity wants to throw at us, We all so must like it!

Be a little inappropriate~

The **** out of here, queen is not a homophobic slur, y'all need to nut up.

Brett509

SLUR?!?!?!?!?!? shut the hell up, that's not a damn slur. LOL at TMZ for picking and choosing what they think is morally appropriate and what isn't. Idiots

keeblerelf

There is a difference in being a homophobe than insensitive TMZ!! Learn the difference!!!

Me

Who cares he has the right to tweet what he wants. Why do Americans have to be afraid of losing their job if we speak our mind. As long as you are not inciting violence speak your mind. We are mad as hell and not going to bow down to political agendas we need to verbally revolt. Free speech power.

thomasL

Tell Harvey to read the comments and learn something.

PR Chick

Interesting that you have "contacted Torrey's rep with no response" I am his publicist and nobody from your organization has reached out to me at all.