Michael Bay

Freaks Out Onstage -- Walks Off

1/6/2014 6:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

010614_michael_bay_launch_v2

Michael Bay melted down in Vegas today ... after his teleprompter malfunctioned.

The "Transformers" director was the featured speaker for Samsung TV at the CES convention.  No sooner did he walk out on stage when it was evident something was terribly wrong.

Michael went blank and then made a reference to "type" ... we've confirmed it was a teleprompter problem.  He said he'd wing it, but watch the video ... that didn't happen.

Michael walked off the stage ... leaving the audience and the moderator dumbfounded.

Anyway ... dialogue was never his strong suit.

update_graphic_red_bar4:12 PM PT -- Bay posted a message on his website explaining the fail ... "Wow! I just embarrassed myself at CES ... I got so excited to talk, that I skipped over the Exec VP's intro line and then the teleprompter got lost."  Then he added the obvious, "I guess live shows aren't my thing."

Coupe09

Talk about embarrassing! Lol!!! He was nervous the second he started speaking. His body language and shaky voice.

JimmyCrapCorn

Yikes. embarrassing.

Zambonie

proving he doesn't have the balls his stupid robot has

mwen

I feel for the guy, I know many talented artist, developers, directors who can't get in front of a room of folks- let alone a whole damn auditorium. He was going to rely on the teleprompters. This goes to show the biggest talented folks are people persons.

Black Adam

He's behind a camera for a reason.

double d

I just think about that Pearl Harbor sucks song from Team America and then I smugly smile cuz no ones made a song about me sucking in life.

Word-Up

The best even need a little help speaking to such a large crowd. I had a similar reaction (6 people audience) and I was soo imberresed the next day. The fact that it could happen to the best makes me feel at ease..

Lauri

Willing to bet big money he was too busy and important to show up for rehearsal… that's what happens.

Lsap

Matt Bomer does a little skit where he's trying out for transformers, it's cute

SoulCritic

Looks like his dream turned into his nightmare.

SureThing

I would NEVER let someone put me in a position like that. I would have practiced that speech with my family, trusted co-workers, and friends. Someone probably had it out for him and did it on purpose. But bottom line; it falls on him to prepare HIMSELF, not rely on other people. What a painful lesson to learn.

jay26mc

I had to give a speech in a college class once and I got really nervous and screwed up bad. It was super embarassing and I hate to think about it even to this day. I feel for him a little bit. Not too much though he still has his millions to comfort him.

bart

Can you say panic attack and meltdown. Wonder if he hates crowds or he was on drugs.

thisismyusername

Public speaking isn't my stronge suit. Even if I was just reading off of a teleprompter, I'd probably pronounce everything wrong, stutter, vomit, then stumble off stage. I don't think it's drugs or alcohol. I think it's a classic high school case of nerves

Winter

aww look at the loser with no balls whimper away and more hilarity and humiliation is ensuing