'Dance Moms' Abby Lee Miller

Crawls Out of Bankruptcy

Who Knew?

1/13/2014 12:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0110-abby-lee-miller-tmz
"Dance Moms" star Abby Lee Miller just emerged from bankruptcy ... but the real news is that she went belly up in the first place.

Miller -- a dance instructor who owns a studio in Pittsburgh -- filed for bankruptcy Dec. 3, 2010 ... according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.  She claimed assets of about $325K ... but owed more than $400,000.

The bulk of her debt -- a $245K mortgage that went into default and the $106K debt on her dance studio.

According to docs, Miller got into financial trouble after she fell behind in real estate taxes ... her property was teetering on foreclosure. She also claimed customer interest in her studio had waned.

But her fortunes began to improve shortly after she filed ... as she started earning money from "Dance Moms" which debuted in July, 2011.

Miller spent three years digging herself out of the hole ... and her case was officially discharged on New Year's Eve.  Her lawyer tells TMZ all creditors were paid in full.

Fun Fact  ... Under assets Miller listed her beloved dog, Broadway Baby -- and attached a value of zero.  She really loved that dog.

And then it died.

News Flash

Who knew she could dance?

Lolopop

She's a bully. Plain and simple. What grown adult bullies children that way? She has some major issues.

samson

Dance Moms? There was a show called Dance Moms?

bernergirl

I don't care for her at all. But good for her on getting out of bankruptcy. Really, all real estate took a hit in 2010.

Usagi-chan

Good for you, Abby Lee! Way to work your way out of a mess.

Pammy

This lady doesn't deserve a show. She's a whale not a dance teacher. My kids dance teacher can actually dance. And she may occasionally raise her voice and tell the girls to pay attention but this lady is just hateful. Shame on the parents for allowing their kids to be near her. And Shame on the network who airs the show

SpitBall

Congratulations to her for getting out of debt and paying everyone off. The popular thing to do in America is stiff the creditor, but she stood tall and did the right thing. Good girl.

Kelly

Such a horrible woman. Makes me so happy to see her cry and suffer.

jae kae

I hate this woman. I was a child dancer for 8 years. I came out of it with enough body image issues, and my instructors were nowhere near as mean or abusive. Why does everyone just stand around and let her do this to these young girls? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Patricia

The monetary value of the dog is a legal issue. It's a cheap and unfair shot to suggest that Miller didn't love her dog because the law requires that pets are not assets with a monetary value; she had no choice in that matter.

Calinative

I don't get why she never dances on the show.She just directs the girls, it's kinda weird.

Jenifer

interest waned in her dance studio. Hmm...I wonder why? No one was interested in having their children mentally abused? Hmmm...

Tmzblows

Crawls out of a cheesecake

stupidfamouspeople

People here are pretty harsh. Losing a dog is very hard for some people, especially if that dog is all you have. And I'm sure she is not really a b*tch in real life, Its all for the show and ratings. I personally love her and I hate almost everyone in Hollywood . Proud of her! Debt is hard to climb out of.

Karen

I love Abby Lee Miller. Obviously tough love sucks sometimes, but these girls will get places with her. That's the way it goes. Tough women are horrible human beings but tough men are great. Give me a break. More power to you Abby Lee Miller!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments