Iraqi Death Scene

Pics of Marines Burning Bodies

Trigger U.S. Military Investigation [PHOTOS]

1/15/2014 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0114_marines_burning_bodies_investigation_launch
The United States military is conducting a formal investigation into American soldiers burning the dead bodies of what appear to be Iraqi insurgents.

TMZ obtained 41 pictures that we're told were shot in Fallujah in 2004.  Two pictures show a Marine appearing to pour gasoline or some other flammable on the remains of what officials believe are 2 insurgents.  Two other photos show the bodies on fire.  You then see charred remains.

Another photo shows a Marine crouched down next to a dead body and mugging for the camera.

Still another pic shows a Marine rifling through the pocket of the pants on a corpse.

We have not included all of the photos.  Many are just too gruesome.  There are well over a dozen bodies in the pics and some are covered with flies and one is being eaten by a dog.

We turned them all over to the Pentagon last week, and a Pentagon official tells us the pics have triggered a Marine Corps investigation.

We're told U.S. Central Command -- the organization in charge of military operations in the Middle East -- also reviewed the photos to determine if they had been previously brought to their attention and determined they had not.

Col. Steve Warren, Director of Press Operations for the Dept. of Defense, tells TMZ ... the pictures appear to show U.S. soldiers in violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice ... which makes it a crime to mishandle remains.

There is no statute of limitations on the crime -- even if the soldiers are now private citizens ... they can still be prosecuted, which could land them behind bars.

Col. Warren tells TMZ,  "The actions that are depicted in these photos are not in any way representative of the honorable, professional service of the 2 1/2  million service members who went to war in Iraq and Afghanistan in the last decade."

JokerMan774

People, these are the same "people" who have decapitated innocent people on camera and strung the bodies of burned Americans up on a bridge and flew planes into the World Trade Center which I personally witnessed. At least these bastards were dead before they were torched. More mercy than they deserved. Sorry if the truth doesn't fit with your Liberal views but you can't win a war by being nice!

JokerMan774

"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace." - William Te***seh Sherman

donna

remember Nick Burg and how they beheaded him as well as others and posted them 4 th world 2 c. if they want us 2 respect their dead then they should do unto others, lead by example. I'm sur ther r foreign countries that hate us but r willing 2 fite 4 this country but then we would hav 2 liv under their rule and I like my FREEDOM. th military needs 2 bring bak censorship

istilllovehim

Looking at those pics. One I could hardly c anything.....two really tmz no justin pee ber or kimye to report now ur meddling into military affairs. Puhleaze

ML

we don't know the cir***stances, it could have to do with religion, or disease control, we have no idea how many bodies there were and maybe they had no time to bury them? Who knows. Bottom line it's war. Everyday sensibilities and etiquette doesn't apply, its something I'm sure the majority of you crying foul could NEVER wrap your sheltered heads around. I'm not going to ask them to keep the wolf from my door and then bitch about the way they do the job. You people are CLUELESS!

ML

we don't know the cir***stances, it could have to do with religion, or disease control, we have no idea how many bodies there were and maybe they had no time to bury them? Who knows. Bottom line it's war. Everyday sensibilities and etiquette doesn't apply, its something I'm sure the majority of you crying foul could NEVER wrap your sheltered heads around. For what

European

And they call others terrorists.... America at work... No friends left.

abby

Dead is dead. Once you're dead, you can't get any deader.

Dfer

You won't show some of the pictures because of how gruesome they are but will give a detailed description? Thank you TMZ for never failing to make sense!

Dfer

michael costa

Maybe the big picture here is that they were already dead and rotting with flies and dogs eating them like it says , and the best way to end it , is to burn the bodies, DON'T make it what it is not , causing problems for our soldiers. LET IT GO and stick to Hollywood TMZ.

Dina

Harvey, it is time to resign. You no longer have vision and the staff are out of their element. How much did you pay Getty or whomever to purchase the photos? It was mighty big of you to wait a week to report this story. Why did you feel the need to sensationalize the title of your story and profit from young American soldiers? Death is sad, especially to hear dogs are so hungry they will eat a rotting human body. Sadly, the innocent animals were shot in order to prevent the spreading of diseases. I am certain the soldiers would rather be home then cremating the enemy.

SchoolTheRookies

This is hardly gruesome. I just saw 2 men get macheted and batted in the middle of London by rival gangs on a worldstar video. That was the most terrifying thing I have ever seen in my life. Dangling bones, flesh and all.

TG

TMZ , not that Islamists need a reason to terrorize our American service men and women, but to post these pictures before the investigation is beyond irresponsible. I don't see the name of the person writing the article, but I hope they will go back and view the photos not with a sensationalist eye, but with the eye of an American, if they are one, seeing Marines burning long dead bodies to prevent disease, seeing Marines looking for identification of the dead and taking photos of the dead on the chance the bodies may be identified as someone on a terrorist watch or other list. I hope in the event there is any type of retaliation on our troops or other Americans over these photos, TMZ will show the photos of the suffering Americans. Actually I take that back as one of them could be my son. Instead I'll ask everyone to please join me in praying for the constant protection of our Marines and soldiers and the safe return of all of our troops and that TMZ will remove the inflammatory photos as soon as possible.

T

You have no idea what these brave men and women have to face in war yet you post pictures not knowing the full story. The thing is they would protect your sorry hiny tomorrow if they had too. That s the difference between them and you. Get a real job!

Previous 15 Comments | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments