Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

Bruce Allen

Sooo sad to hear this. The professor was the only true survivalist in the group and Russell did a superb job playing the role. He could easily have patched that hole in the boat anytime he wanted to...but I have to agree with his logic, being stranded on a beautiful Island with Ginger and Mary Ann...I wouldn't have fixed it either!

August

All you commenters are OLD!

Yak

The brains of the operation. Really enjoyed that show as a kid.

Joey Boots

no idea he was even still alive.

Bt

The question is, who is next "ginger or Maryann"

Bopco

Seems like the years can even take away my memories of the most Idiotic Show to ever become a part of a long lost, innocent and happy childhood.... Time to go light up with Mary Wells and maybe watch a few eposodes... RIP Professor... I'll make sure to watch one of the reruns where they managed to scrunch "The Professor and Mary Ann" into the theme song....

Moe Greene

Such a nice guy. He used to hang around the men's bath houses up in San Fran. We used to call him"Big Russ". He would throw a bar of soap on the floor then the towel snapping would begin. Big Russ would just laugh and laugh. R.I.P. Big Russ.

Joe

Rip, That for being part of my life growing up as a kid watching your show gilligans Island.

KDL

So the last two alive of the G.I. cast are Marry Wells (Marry Ann) and Tina Louise (Ginger)?

gee

So long Professor...89 long good years...God was good to you...and I enjoyed you...goodbye!

CLINT

I loved GI. Mary Ann has always been my dream girl. The only thing I couldn't understand is they built huts and stages to perform on, but they couldn't patch the hole in the boat.

Bill5martin

I like many on here watched re-runs growing up. I loved the show. I just wished they hadn't taken it off, because an executives wife wanted gun smoke back on. You can watch how the show was rejected several times on youtube. RIP

Karen

RIP, Professor. The island awaits you. Sequel, Welcome, to Gilligan's Island.

Joe

Proud2bBlack

Awe man my Island crush, gone but not forgotten. Thought he was the sexiest of all the guys on island. R.I.P.