Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

Joey Boots

Celebs die in threes - who is next?

click

He did a lot of great work, not just Gilligan's Island. Was very under appreciated by Hollywood as well as most of the others. I hope Tina Louis will give a quote as well as Dawn Wells..

Edwawrd

I grew up with Gilligans Island and now watch it with my kids. Sorry that the Professor has passed on. I guess that just leave Ginger and Mary Ann.

Dead@27

Too many coconut cream pies?
It's okay, Professor...
I voted for MaryAnn in the Island Beauty Contest too.

Unbroken Chain

Wow Reuben Kincaid and the Professor die on the same day?? How sad. Grew up watching those guys. Guess I'm getting old

DaveL

Another bit of our childhood gone. Condolences to his family, his friends, and his fans.

I may go download some episodes of GI to enjoy a few laughs. Goodbye, Professor. You were awesome.

Edwawrd

phil osopher

Great reporting TMZ... whoever wrote this only could remember Ginger's name I guess. Mary Ann also had a name, DAWN WELLS.
Another very well researched article buy you.
Next time put a little bit more effort in your work... Keyword: GOOGLE.

billybob

As time goes by! R.I.P

OooooNooo!

Wow --

VictorG

Always seemed like a very pleasant gentleman, as did all on that program.RIP

madkono

rest in peace proffesor.

anonymous

I had such a crush on him. Nobody could slap together a coconut phone like the professor. Brainy and creative. That's pretty sexy stuff to a ten year old girl!

Trim Jibbers

He was the only one with any realistic chance of getting lucky with Ginger or Mary Ann. I think he could have gotten them all off the island, but why would he when he had those two beautiful babes in paradise? RIP Russell you'll be missed.

Paul Jamison

Yeah, he was part of an era when there was little talk about drugs in Hollywood and much less greed infested movie stars flaunting their wealth to bully the less fortunate with "materialism."