Lee Daniels

Oscars Can't Snub Me

'Cause I Don't Care About Awards

1/21/2014 12:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

012014_lee_daniels_launch
Lee Daniels couldn't care less about the Oscars dissing his flick 'The Butler' because he tells us he doesn't buy into Hollywood's self-congratulatory award crap, but the thing is ... we're not sure Lee's keeping it 100.

Here's the deal ... 'Butler' came up goose eggs for Oscar noms -- nothing for Lee, Forrest Whitaker, or Oprah Winfrey -- even though critics LOVED the movie.

Daniels shrugged off the controversy at LAX ... telling us, "we don't do it for the awards, we do it for the art" -- which is either a totally chill thing to say ... or just what you HAVE to say when you get snubbed.

Daniels does end up getting a little consolation prize in this clip.

It's better than nothing. Barely.

stan

He cares. I just rented the dvd. I can only get through 45 minutes. I have a huge problem they showed all white people being racist. NOT EVERY white person in the south was a racist. How would Lee Daniels feel if I made a movie & every Black person in the film was a convict, dead beat dad, on parole, heavy drinker, and all of the women are shown as fat mammies....

stan

It wasn't that good. It came across like a tv movie

freaksloan

Who care what the racist Lee Daniels thinks?

Ace

Somebody with the movie must care about awards, I got my free copy from SAG a couple weeks ago, "for your consideration".

laffnbear

Of course he wants an Oscar.
It means more and better parts, which mean more and bigger celebrity and bigger pay days.
I doubt he will settle for a job as Walmart greeter now.
Nice attempt at "sour grapes though.

Shannon Nutt

All critics did NOT love this movie...I thought it was just so-so and quite insulting to history (The Butler would have you believe that all our Presidents are closet-racists and that no white person in America supported the civil rights cause).

tori

I thought it could've been better

zombie

If he didn't care he wouldn't even be addressing it.

BB not bb

People shouldn't take the Oscars so seriously. It is not God's judgement, it is just Hollywood types worshiping and praising themselves. He got big stars to be in his movie and big box office sales with wide distribution in major theaters. That is more than some people get.

I think the movie was good. I don't go by who gets Oscars. I have seen some Oscar movies and they were horrible. In the end, all that really lasts or matters is the art. If you can deeply touch someone and make an impact on their perception of the world, that really means more than getting some token of popularity.

ArchAngelWC

you should have included "doesnt deserve a ocsar 12 year was way better" as a valid option

SheDontCare

I personally wouldn't either those award shows are full of crap people that actually deserves awards hardly ever wins

Raphie

"Forest Gump Whitaker" aka "The Butler" was a mediocre film at best... Too heavy handed and unwatchable... The only thing that got me through it was to see how absurd it would actually get... Make a better movie next time, d-bag...

Marie

The snub was not against Lee Daniels it was against Oprah and the liberal administration as liberal as Hollywood is they are just as sick of this administration and its crap!

Drunky_Brewster

"The Butler" was a great movie. The Weinstein Company was already releasing "Philomena, "August: Osage County," and "Mendela" during the prime end-of-the -year-still-be-eligible-for-awards time. Three movies is a lot for a studio to be promoting at one time. If "The Butler" would have had a different release date, they would have seen nominations. Unfortunately, you can't release every movie at the end of the year.

Gary

You just know from the get-go that director and stars had Oscar in their eyes when they made this movie. The trouble is the movie stank to high heaven. It wasn't much more than a Lifetime movie of the week certainly not an Oscar contender on ANY level. I sat thru the whole thing and it was a chore. Not much difference between this and THE HELP from a couple years ago. Just a very average film.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments