Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

Calico

Weird fact - Toni did some short speaking parts on Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

How sad they are divorcing.

David

EYE saw this coming a mile away, so did Tennille.

LIZ

Well, I'm surprised, I thought she died a long time ago.

Dennis

I have always loved you two. God be with you both.

Chgome

I am sure because of his illness they divorced so he could qualify for help for his medical expenses. They still live to gether. It's ashame in this country that marriages of 40 years have to end in order to get the healthcare they need. It's been done before and some young people with children don't marry because of healthcare costs. That's why the American family is i decline, not because or declining morals, its the rich doing it to the poor.n

David

It appears that Tennille had had an eyeful

jlw

I can see why they'd divorce for insurance reasons in todays world. It doesn't necessarily mean they love each other less. But oly they know the reasons. Could be they talked about it and he doesn't remember?

Don

Maybe if you learned to read before writing you'd know.

Debster

Omg, TMZ...how is this newsworthy? Who cares about these two has beens? You are really hurting if you think this is actually *news*. A really slow day in the scandal website biz, I'm guessing!

Gail

Hopefully like the article says, they are divorcing so he can qualify for Medicaid/MediCal and still love each other but weird that he wouldn't know the reason

Big D

Damn! I thought they were dead

Omar Pasha

He may be saying crazy things to her due to his Parkinsons condition.

melaniekinzler

For all of you youngsters who know nothing about the 70s, here it is. Captain and Tennille were/are musicians. They made music that people could relate to at that time period. I remember listening to MUSKRAT LOVE and giggling to the music. PLEASE don't get me wrong I Love the music of Beyonce, Jay Z, Alicia Keys, etc. The Captain and Tennille have been married for almost 40 years and I haven't been fortunate enough to know anybody who has been married for that length of time. This is in fact the feeling of "HOLY COW, MY PARENTS ARE GETTING A DIVORCE"!!!! It really doesn't matter if you know them or not. At the end of the day, for whatever reason a divorce is always sad news. I'm sure they still have a certain amount of feeling/love for each other , simply because you can't have a person in your life for that length of time and not have those residual feelings. I'm sure there will be some nay sayer out there who will most definitely have an obnoxious comment or two regarding my post, but those things happen. All the best to THE CAPTAIN & TENNILLE.

blivet

So let me get this straight - they did this so he would be eligable for better health insurance coverage? Obamacare did this?

BOHOE

'hidden feelings begin to be uncovered" - sound like she's joining Bruce Jenner in gender reassignment