Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

cave

he left the toilet seat up to much.

nusse

wait they are getting divorced over health insurance? I thought Obamacare was supposed to save us all?

American 1st

Divorcing in their 70s? That's just too sad. They will probably each die "alone", a sad conclusion after nearly 40 years of marriage (wiping tears).

ANTHONY

HERE WE GO AGAIN ,.... as yet another "WOE-man" realizes that she's REALLY a cougar inside, and decides to walk away from it all, (under one stupid guise or another - and evidently in this case, INSURANCE reasons ?...) put TRULY, what is inevitably the "PROBLEM" with most women,is that "they FINALLY realize that they have to be true to her calling", and it's time to "stop playing the game" of wife ! This "usually" occurs at the exact moment that a woman turns 50 - and all caution is thrown into the wind. And, I REALLY don't want to hear from the women out there, about how men do these things alos, etc,. BECAUSE Divorce Court Public records show that most divorces are filed by women, and CLEARLY - this supports my comment further; and yes I've "been there and suffered it all myself, but what still bothers me is how callous you women are about how this affects your (usually grown, at that point ) children and others around you, so perhaps you're "called" to do these things by Lucipher, (Lucy for short) - as I'm convinced more and more that the devil, (though spirit) becomes incarnate in the lives of these women - for it only makes sense that if God is The Father, (who strictly forbids divorce for all causes, and even decalres "It Is Better Not To Take A Vow, Than To Take One & Not Keep It" ) .... that his nemesis would be a "type" of a woman; for in The Bible, the church is clearly referenced to as God's "bride", etc.,
MY ASSERTION IS PROVEN & END OF STORY - but I don't write to be crass or to provoke the female gender, but rather to WARN young men that read this, with , "DON'T DO IT" .... but if you do, (cause nature calls, of course) - REMEMBER to prepare yourself to smart for it at some point, and it'll hurt like pain you've never imagined !

Mollie

First off, having been a fan for more than 30 years, they were not discovered by Neil Sedaka! Yes they did start out working The Smokehouse but Neil did not come in until later on when they heard Love Will Keep Us Together off of Neils album and decided to do their own arrangement of the song. It won Grammy for record of the year in 1975. They have been married for 38 years as of November 11, 2013 not 39 but have been together for over 40 including the years before their marriage. Have no idea why after all these years Toni decided to file but i somehow cannot believe that she would abandon him in his moment of need for selfish reasons?

frank1946

Great Entertainers...................Maybe more to the Story ?

Hope they still love and care for each other.

Pray for both of them !

Shannon Jemason

For those of you who don't know who they are,the duo sold more than 23 million albums. Their cover of Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield’s “Love Will Keep Us Together” was the bestselling single of 1975, and their 1979 hit “Do That To Me One More Time” hit the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1980

Shannon Jemason

For those who don't know who they are,
The duo sold more than 23 million albums. Their cover of Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield’s “Love Will Keep Us Together” was the bestselling single of 1975, and their 1979 hit “Do That To Me One More Time” hit the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1980

YourBitchWife

Currently married for 38 years here, To first and only husband. Currently 59 years old. This story is exciting and wonderful to me. What's with the comments from people who think it is depressing? Toni Tennille and the Captain are not stagnant, they are alive. here I am smiling and wishing them both peace and happiness in this new phase of their lives. GTG I have been considering changes in my life too! Kudos and applause to the Captain and Tenille.

Chris

She is looking for a younger person

Tucky Girl

Age has done her well.

Lisa

Maybe she met an Admiral.

Red Sam Rackham

I always hated that Muskrat Love song.

britjon

Christian. I just agree... Ray`s postlng is shocking... last saturday I bought a new Mercedes after I been earnin $9546 this - five weeks past and-just over, ten k this past month. it's by-far the easiest-job Ive ever had. I actually started 6 months ago and pretty much immediately began to bring home minimum $74.. per hour. check this link right here now >>>>>> CHECK44.COM

Bon

It is always funny to me to hear a man say, "I never saw it coming" . That is so typical. Hell, I saw it coming 30 something years ago. I'm surprised it lasted this long.