Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

TeddyBrewski

LOL no one leaves their house and other assets BEFORE they file for divorce! That's not in the lease bit suspicious.

jane

It's not real. They're divorcing because their health insurance under Obamacare will be cheaper because of his severe health problems with Parkinson's Disease. Thanks, O. /sarc. http://myq105.cbslocal.com/2014/01/23/captain-and-tennille-divorce-for-better-health-care-coverage/

V-Bottom

I grew up in that era and this is so sad to here. She was so much fun on stage, they were meant for each other. 39 yrs...wow I hope she decides to chg. her mind. Capt., I wish you well and don't give up hope. God has a plan. Look at Tiger!!

Brent

I can understand divorcing for health insurance reasons.... Since Obama care 6.3 million have lost their health care insurance.

bluebonnets of texas

So very sad to hear when people that are together that long are headed to divorce court. In hollywood people fall in love or lust w hichever the caase is but6 these two made me really believe there was true love.. Sad and I do hope they work it out ..

endmillll@aol.com

Them two where good together too..

m82a3

I ,thought these two were.

Hugh Morgan

I lived in Hollywood and would attend the Captain and Tennelli show tapings during the 70's as a young teenager. Some of my best memoirs where of them. Especially the love you could see both of them showing towards each other. To bad after so many years . So sad to hear. What the hell does someone do after 39 years of marriage, find a different partner? Right.

kat

It could be that she's trying to protect what assets they have. I know my own mother had to divorce my dad when he was very ill and dying. She did it to protect what little they had in case she had to put in him a care facility. They take everything you own to pay for it.

Millie

So sad for The Captain & Tennille, if you don't know who they are, why do you comment?

tim

Some of you people have never heard of The Captain and Tennille? What, are you like 12?

Mary Edmonson

It's true .... sometimes you receive better benefits as a single person than married. Such was the case of my former husband and his wife who divorced so that they could receive more compensation than if they had remained married.

russ hardy

my wife and i have been married 43 years and were hs sweethearts . been a long time together and another 50 years wouldn't be enough

-----------------------Hal Pritzker

ANYbody, particularly a male, contemplating getting married (to a woman, of course) should take this Captain and Tenille breakup as a warning. You NEVER know what the hell is going on in their minds. Before putting yourself---and your financial health---in jeopardy by marrying one of the little darlings, you had better think about it, 10 or 15 times. AND have legal assistance on retainer. You're going to need it.

Annie

I would be willing to bet it has something to do with insurance and long term care issues, protection of assets and what ever because his disease is progressing, and he may required a nursing facility eventually, they need to be divorced for a while before the assets are considered divided and being divorced will protect assets for her for later on when she needs care, it is a shame but there are often cases like this, sad day for everyone involved...