Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

Chuckawobbly

How shocking. I thought they would remain married forever. Who divorces in their seventies? I don't know. It's very sad. I grew up listening to their music and still do. For those young people who don't know who they are, you can go to youtube and check them out. Toni and Daryl toured with the Beach Boys and were credited as performing on several Elton John albums and Toni Tennille's name can be found on Pink Floyd's The Wall...very cool...how many people can lay claim to that? Very sad.

RC from Sierra Nevada GC

Toni is a doll and I am sure she has a very good reason to do what she wants for all party's involved!
RC in the Grey Lincoln

Blonde Ambition

They were happy to be child-free & apparently happy to be out of the limelight. Maybe Toni was just tired of nursing him through his Parkinson's & wanted to see if there still was life out there. Yeah, so much for "in sickness & in health" ...

maggie

You jinxed them the other day when you said how long they had been married!!!!!

MARJIE

I believe the insurance reason, I am seriously considering it myself because my husband is disabled and he could get a lot better benefits and premiums without my income. This so called affordable care act will bankrupt us, I have no doubt. Not sure where I am suppose to pull an extra $1200 plus out of .

Vegas mommy

I didn't realize they were still alive!!

NORMAN

I'm guessing that over the 39 years of their partnership they have amassed a small fortune. If Daryl's Med expenses are forecast to rise dramatically in the near future this could be a prudent fiscal move on their part. Divide the majority of assets to Toni and then Daryl files for bankruptcy and you and I pay the Med Bill! Meanwhile they continue to live together as if nothing in their relationship has changed. Just saying...

Gary B.

Wow,, very sad. I met Toni when I played for ballet classes at Bert Prival Dance studios in Encino in the 1970's. She was very sweet and in the year I met her They got their first hit. She gave me the piano they used at the Smokehouse for my sister who took piano lessons from me. After that, the piano went to some friends of mine..Don't know where it is now. It wasn't full size only about 76 keys. I hate it when this happens..I love the 'married' forever stories better.

Robert Eggplant

So it's not "Love Will Keep Us Together", it's "Love Will Tear Us Apart". Sorry Captain, should've listened to Joy Division.

Jack

I'm surprised that he didn't ditch her years ago! She treated him like dirt on their TV show!

Rick

Its for insurance reaon.

MsKae

For everyone answering the stupider and more insulting comments about C and T on this post with anything but a "Hate":

Don't feed the Trolls. They'll only get bolder.

charlieb

How can you have a Captain without a Tennille? So sad.

pj

Health Insurance, That's why, those Hospital Doctor bills can really cut into savings. Divorced, She can let the "State" pick up the tab, even put him in a home.

Babs

"for richer or poorer, thru sickness and health, til death do us part" ? ? ? ?