Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

CSR-921

For us is 48 happy years and counting, sorry for them, we certainly liked them in the 70s.

mark

I was married for 32 yrs. and she didn't see it coming.

garybelzman

Wow! How sad. To be married that long and divorce? Sounds like a publicity stunt.

al baby

She is gay and has had a girl friend for years

Abby

Although I never liked their corny music, I still think this is very sad.

CremeBrulee

I thought they were brother and sister.

Richard

Does she think she can do better at her age? Maybe its not guys that she's interested in. In the 70's, everyone was straight.

LOULOU

GOOD FOR HER. HE MUST BE A PAIN IN THE A** SHE WAS PROBABLY SICK OF HIM.

Lance

So she loved him till he got sick.Isn;t she a piece of crap to abandon him when he needs her.I guess she forgot the part about in sickness and in health.

Ron Fing Swanson

Thought they were related.

SK

I am heartbroken.

CremeBrulee

It didn't work out then they worked it in...Tony Toni Tone has done it again...It feels good.

Babyboomer

People divorce for lots of reasons other than the usual ones.Health reasons, coverage,more benefits etc are a short list where they would benefit from a divorce. With his current health situation,I'm thinking this was it.

StPeteRickster

Young and Beautiful, someday your looks will be gone....

UNLV1990

After 40 years of marriage, Tennille woke up gay. Gotta feel bad for the captain. The captain gave up 40 years of his life, too bad. I left my crazy exwife of over 20yrs and my life has never been better. I have a hot Latina gf and have fun with my friends. I have more money after the divorce. I should have done this years ago!