Philip Seymour Hoffman

A Single Drink

Ultimately Led to Death

2/6/2014 12:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0206-philip-seymour-hoffman-master
Philip Seymour Hoffman's recent and fatal path down the road of addiction was triggered by an innocent drink ... sources close to the actor tell TMZ.

Hoffman had been sober for 23 years prior to shooting "The Master" -- but during a wrap party in 2012, the actor succumbed to temptation ... and celebrated the movie with a drink ... which quickly became a couple of drinks.

Hoffman acknowledged to confidants ... the drinks opened the floodgates.  Addictions experts all say one drink can destroy an addict's life ... and that seems to be what happened here.

Sources tell us Hoffman didn't begin experimenting with heroin until 2013, after he had already fully fallen off the wagon. We're told he had long been curious about the drug.

It started with snorting -- and last May, he quickly checked into rehab because he was terrified it would escalate to IV use ... which it eventually did.

Naelynn Ruckinger

wow

Joe

Apparently alot of people commenting know **** about Recovery, The whole point of The One Drink is if he hadn't taken the one drink, The Phenomenon of craving wouldnt have set him off since he was clean for 23 years makes me wonder if he was using/ drinking in the last couple of years. Someone commented on him being a street junkie Hey ******* addiction it doesnt matter who you are and the reason you don't hear about people dying from an overdose is either you are not close enough to it or B. It's an Anonymous situation therefore you wouldnt know **** unless you was part of the program. Youll be suprised who is really in A.A or N.A it could be someone laying next to you. But For the Grace of God There Go I..

Todd

1 drink did not start his downfall.

darren

if you want to to fight the demom, take him on , head on

richard nicoletti

There's nothing innocent about one drink for an addict.

David Laing

I REALLY wish I didn't need to see this man's face any more!

jay

ohhhhhhhh...so booze is a gate way drug?

Vanilla

You don't wake up and say after a few drinks, "Hey, I bet heroin is awesome. I'm going to try it."

ed baggett

Why all the interest over just another drunk & drug addict ? He did it to himself.

jay

what a joke had a drink last nite didnt wake up this morning with a needel in my arm one more dead junky no tears here

tired of it

He chose to sick a needle in his arm what does anyone think would be the consequences of his actions?
I am so tired of the coverage of yet another idiot who throws away his life...

me

Why doesn't Hollywood drug test? They promote this behavior for publicity. Hollywood pays these idiots too much, and they can't handle it. If he was a street person, we never would know he died. He was a drug addict, and the want us to feel sorry NOT HAPPENING

GJ

I am so tired of hearing about this loser, Maximilian Schell died this week and not a mention. People make the choice at some point to use drugs, alcohol or any other substance and there are consequences to those decisions. Don't glamourize this loser who could not control his choices. You reap what you sow.

Mei

To my thinking, he made his choices and they were bad ones. I also think that he killed himself with that poisont that he pumped into his veins. Yes, I do know about addiction...mine was booze. I decided that my family was more improtant to me and got hte help I needed and it is almost 50 years now. Then again, was not rich and famous...that may be the difference. Fact remains he was selfish and left those kids and the girlfriend behind..

Goose

Can someone please tell me why so much info on this guys death; yet when a soldier gets killed in Afghanistan; no one knows about it?