Philip Seymour Hoffman

A Single Drink

Ultimately Led to Death

2/6/2014 12:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0206-philip-seymour-hoffman-master
Philip Seymour Hoffman's recent and fatal path down the road of addiction was triggered by an innocent drink ... sources close to the actor tell TMZ.

Hoffman had been sober for 23 years prior to shooting "The Master" -- but during a wrap party in 2012, the actor succumbed to temptation ... and celebrated the movie with a drink ... which quickly became a couple of drinks.

Hoffman acknowledged to confidants ... the drinks opened the floodgates.  Addictions experts all say one drink can destroy an addict's life ... and that seems to be what happened here.

Sources tell us Hoffman didn't begin experimenting with heroin until 2013, after he had already fully fallen off the wagon. We're told he had long been curious about the drug.

It started with snorting -- and last May, he quickly checked into rehab because he was terrified it would escalate to IV use ... which it eventually did.

susan

I think I can understand the all or nothing mentality. I used to do drugs (not heroin) in the 80's, I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day also. Just gave it all up one day. To this day, I cannot smoke a cigarette or I would be back to 2 packs a day and I don't dare do drugs. I guess I have an addictive personality as well but I know better and don't dare tempt it

jim

I had my 25th AA birthday last July. From time to time, usually around the holidays, somebody will offer me a drink,and I'll think "You know, it's been a quarter of a century. I think I've demonstrated my control over alcohol!" I say no, because I know what would happen. I think AA's statistic is that a single drink will lead to an 80% chance of you being at your "full practice" (the amount you drank a day when you quit) by the end of the week. "One drink's too many,and a million's not enough."

Richard877

With 23 years of sobriety, he knew exactly what he needed to do to get back to being clean and sober again. I have 16 years, and I hope that if I ever relapsed, my ego would not prevent me from going back to meetings and starting again. Some of us have to die in order for others to live...

Kurts111699

Addiction cares not about anyone just kills . Like a grim reaper with an angel costume on . 14 years sober

JR

Hello, my name is Jack & I am a sober addict...Guess he missed the freedom sobriety allows..Too bad he didnt get it right..Had so much going for him and was such a blessing to others..He did however provide the ultimate example of where addiciton leads..Tip of the hat to you Phil..RIP..Hope you're in a better place..

Richard877

With 23 years of sobriety, he knew exactly what he had to do to get back to being clean and sober. I have 16 years of continuous sober and clean living. These stories,(and there are many) are pretty scary. I just hope that if I ever relapsed I would not let my ego prevent me from going back to meetings and starting again. some of us have to die in order for others to live...

Supermom

One single drink did not ultimately lead to his death. That drink was the catalyst that led to further self destructing behaviors. A heroin overdose lead to his death. Please don't make light of the seriousness of his OD.

leyland austrian

no , no , no lies ! One drink did not take his life , the debt weary government took not only his life but a lot of poor kids lives too . I ****in hate it when you life

martin oxley

ok enough, yes he was a fine actor but if he wasn't a star there would be no headlines, just a dead junkie found with a needle in his arm. all their money and fame tossed away and i'm supposed to feel sorry for them. as the late great actor Marlon Brandon said in the Godfather. slap to the face "act like a man"

derralh

bury this POS and quit bringing up how good an actor he was. He was nothing but a sorry POS

opiates.com

I wish it was as simple as a drink!!! There is so much more involved in wanting to numb yourself to such and extend that actually put a needle in your arm!!!! If the cause was that simple, so would be the solution...

david

really..i have 34 years clean and sober.one drink did not do it.you ones blow mw away.every day someone dies of drugs,are drinking,oh its a rock star a movie star..they get the red rose for dieing..he was a drug addict fools..and what is sad.evert time a movie star gies like this you dont talk aboutall the pain he cause friends family.and oh the friends come jumping out.he was a great guy.where were is friends that knew he did drugs.and some did..believe .what it is if you have fame and money most dont give a dam..just give me your money..wake up tmz.tell the facts..really..alot of pain was in thatmans heart you dont do drugs are drink alot.if you love your self..wake up.

Supermom

A single drink didn't lead to his death, a single drink exacerbated his addiction and led him on a destructive path. One of those destructive paths was shooting heroin. A heroin binge ultimately led to his death. Opioid addiction is serious, call it what it is.

Erbie

So the media does not want you to remember the needle stuck in the dudes arm, they want you to remember the alcohol you can buy at any WalMarts. Making the dude look really good ain't it?

VICKIE

Well then I think the people who make the alcohol should be arrested------afterall it killed someone!!