« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Michael Sam

College Football Star Reveals

... I'M GAY

2/9/2014 5:17 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0209_michael-sam_getty

Missouri Tigers superstar Michael Sam -- one of the best college football players in the country -- has revealed he's gay ... and the timing comes just months before he will enter the NFL Draft.

Sam -- the SEC Defensive Player of the Year -- made the announcement publicly on Sunday  ... saying, "I am an openly, proud gay man."

If (and when) he's drafted, Sam will be the first openly gay man on an NFL roster in the history of the league.

"I understand how big this is. It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."

24-year-old Sam said he already confided in a few friends ... and realized people knew while he was at the Senior Bowl. Sam says he dated another male athlete at Missouri, but not a member of the football team.

Sam says he finally came out to his teammates last year ... and they couldn't have been more supportive.

"I was kind of scared, even though they already knew. Just to see their reaction was awesome. They supported me from Day One. I couldn't have better teammates. ... I'm telling you what: I wouldn't have the strength to do this today if I didn't know how much support they'd given me this past semester."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

B4-I-FU-RU-18?

Never heard of this . " Bakebean" before. Next !

cami

Im proud of u michael sam u go boy so proud of u

bonnie bell

I'm announcing that I'm keeping quiet that I'm straight.

curt

it's about time that someone stepped up and showed that just because you're gay ..you don't have to fit the stereotypical , ignorant misconceptions that many uneducated and obviously ungodly people have. Who he chooses to date, marry, sleep with, not sleep has nothing to do with his ability to play football. Obviously, he's been gay all his life...and look what he's done..the best defensive player in 2013. Come on people... grow the hell up.. If you want to comment about homosexuality...know what TF you're talking about.."sucking D and getting pounded" comments ..just sad. Have your own opinion about homosexuality. ..but if you don't have to share them because trust me..we can dig in your closet and pull out some skeletons..only God has the final say so..and he wouldn't make us homosexual if He didn't think it was okay..we are just like everyone else. Thank you Michael Sam for breaking the stereotype! And for the comment about losing black men, you've already lost us...There are plenty of heterosexual men that can raise heterosexual men...and me, as a homosexual man..am raising a strong..healthy..and open minded heterosexual man who will be appreciative of people's differences instead of ignorant like 99% of society.

Beauty

Enough with this, who cares! Just be gay and live your life. Your sexual preference does not require an announcement. I find the whole movement of "coming out" publicly to obnoxious and unnecessary - not to mention tacky AND degrading to one's self. Nobody needs to know anything about anyone's sexual anything. Gross. Sexuality doesn't define us as humans or individuals so knock it off with the advertising already.

AdoreJae

That's Pretty Awesome to hear that his teammates accepted & showed nothing but love I Honestly think off he doesn't get Drafted our will look beyond bad for The NFL

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4