« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Univ. of Missouri QB

I 'Accept' Michael Sam

But I Don't Support Homosexuality

2/10/2014 5:16 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0210_James-Franklin_Michael-Sam_gettyMichael Sam's college quarterback tells TMZ Sports ... he and other teammates "accepted" the openly gay football star during their time at Missouri ... but they don't "support" homosexuality.

We spoke with James Franklin -- who just completed his senior year at U of M and just like Sam, is expected to be selected in the upcoming NFL Draft.

"I don't drink.  I don't curse.  I don't support [homosexuality] -- but it doesn't mean I don't accept Michael," Franklin says.

When asked if he was supportive of Sam when he made his announcement in August, Franklin said ... "I wouldn't say supportive, but accepting.  A lot of people confuse supporting and accepting."

Still, Franklin says ... "Michael respected us.  He didn't make us feel uncomfortable in the locker room."

"He can be whoever he wants to be.  I'll be there for him no matter what."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Cookie35

I never understood why gay people have to make announcements everytime??? So what your gay? Really? Do we all care? No? So things are left better unsaid... You don't see straight people posting comments everytime there going to do somthing.. If you want to be treated like everyone else then stop announcing your business!!! #so tired of catering to gay people 👎

indaknow

So if Sam gets padded in the the butt by a team mate after a good play would that be considered sexual harassment?

indaknow

Why is the guy who does not accept homosexuality the bad guy? What is this world coming to.

indaknow

Why is it that 99% of the people in this country are wrong for not accepting homosexuality? Why is it that non believers or non acceptors of this life style are being singled out to be bad people? Why should the 1% of the population that is homosexual always have to be right?

indaknow

Why did Sam find it important to tell the world that he likes a good congo roll between his cheeks and a sack of chicken skin on his chin?

indaknow

I wonder when was the last time Sam had to strain to take a dump or take some form of stool softener?

Ron Fing Swanson

This goof is going to get more hype about being gay than his actual skills on the field.

ryan

I think gay athletes should be required to get hiv testing a lot more often than normal. Specially in a contact sport where blood is common.

yomama

Hey, indaknow, its time to move on with ur life... Really.

Candy

Lol... BILLSON1234 you're not holding anything back are you?

Island gal

Ok! We get it! Your queer and proud! But keep that **** in the closet with that messed up grill of yours!

Miniredhawk

I applaud James Franklin. We need more people like him. He's following Gods word. 'Listen, I'm not for it, but Sam is human and allowed to make his own choices. I have his back.' It's his 'Love thy neighbor' kind of attitude that is refreshing. If straight people didn't try and force gay people to stay in the closet, it wouldn't be news every time this happened. It'd be called Tuesday, or such.

bkblueknight

a few years back people didnt accept black people.

but hey its your turn to be a bigoted oppressive *******.

have fun

Ibincono

Isn't it time for the LGBT community to stop showboating for a moment - and thank a straight person for a change? Seems to me that being a member of a one-generation and done community, it might be a good idea to appreciate those who have the ability to procreate. That group of heterosexuals that you are, and always will be, entirely dependent on. While pounding the desk and demanding to be seen as equal in every way is noble, there is this one little nuance that continues to undermine the homosexual ideological fantasy of equality.

Mm

Tmz they don't accept anyone opinion if they different there's .. If u don't support gay ppl they will attack u .. Cuz Harvey is gay

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments