Shirley Temple Black

Dies at 85

2/11/2014 3:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0211-shirley-temple-03
Shirley Temple Black -- arguably the most famous child star ever -- has died.

Black passed away at her home in Woodside, California from natural causes.

She was an enormous star in her heyday.  She began her acting career at 3 and her singing and dancing was irresistible. Her most famous song, "On the Good Ship Lollipop" riveted audiences.

021114_shirley_temple_launch
Her movies were must-sees in the 30s -- especially "Bright Eyes," "Stand Up and Cheer" and "Curly
Top."

She was so popular a drink was named after her, and kids copied her curly haircut the way people copied Farrah Fawcett's decades later.

In 1934, she was given a miniature Oscar for her work.

Black hung up the acting towel at 21 -- back in 1950 -- and after a break she returned to the public eye by throwing her hat in the political arena ... running for Congress as a Republican.

She became a U.S. diplomat ... serving as U.S. ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia.

She married her first husband at 17, but it didn't last.  Her second marriage to Charles Black endured.

Black's family and caregivers were with her when she died.

The family said, "We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and adored wife for 55 years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black."

021114_shirley_temple_animals_launch

021114_shirley_temple_bright_eyes_launch

0211_shirley_temple_photos_remembering_footer_v3

Judy

This is really sad. Condolences to her family and may she RIP.

A sad story about a truly classy actress, followed by stories about the skanks of today. They could all learn a less from Shirley Temple.

Patrick NeSmith

R.I.P.

JA

RIP

She was a legend, one of few child stars who had a responsible parent watching over her as she grew up to the woman she was.

Margarida Maria

Shirley Temple, child prodigy of Hollywood. An example of child star. She was part of the true cinema.
Rest in peace, Shirley Temple

TT

Oh my... she one of the biggest icons of the 30s.

My condolences to her family.

R.I.P.

Zinn

One of the most beloved film stars of the 20th century. Saved the "Depression Era" from total depression.. RIP Shirley....

Ron Fing Swanson

She looked younger than her 85. Rip

TT

Oh my... she one of the biggest icons of the 30s.

My condolences to her family.

R.I.P.

JMitch

She was a woman with class, unlike some of the idiots commenting. May God bless her beautiful, sweet soul.

Clytemnestra

Her talents were amazing. To watch her sing and dance and to know how young she was is hard to believe.

Violette-Blue

RIP to an amazing child actor, adult actor, mother, wife, grandmother and great grandmother. She was alsoa wonderful human being. This was someone to look up to. She showed the world you can be a child actor, grow up and still do very well for themselves. When I was a little girl I had those curls (all natural) and when people called me little Shirley Temple I would smile.

Violette-Blue

Violette-Blue

TT

Oh my... she one of the biggest icons of the 30s.

My condolences to her family.

R.I.P.

boo boo

I cried! Every little girl has had our hair pinned in curls and we copied her dancing and singing. Forever imitated but never duplicated. A real class act all the way. I'm still crying.