Shirley Temple Black

Dies at 85

2/11/2014 3:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0211-shirley-temple-03
Shirley Temple Black -- arguably the most famous child star ever -- has died.

Black passed away at her home in Woodside, California from natural causes.

She was an enormous star in her heyday.  She began her acting career at 3 and her singing and dancing was irresistible. Her most famous song, "On the Good Ship Lollipop" riveted audiences.

021114_shirley_temple_launch
Her movies were must-sees in the 30s -- especially "Bright Eyes," "Stand Up and Cheer" and "Curly
Top."

She was so popular a drink was named after her, and kids copied her curly haircut the way people copied Farrah Fawcett's decades later.

In 1934, she was given a miniature Oscar for her work.

Black hung up the acting towel at 21 -- back in 1950 -- and after a break she returned to the public eye by throwing her hat in the political arena ... running for Congress as a Republican.

She became a U.S. diplomat ... serving as U.S. ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia.

She married her first husband at 17, but it didn't last.  Her second marriage to Charles Black endured.

Black's family and caregivers were with her when she died.

The family said, "We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and adored wife for 55 years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black."

021114_shirley_temple_animals_launch

021114_shirley_temple_bright_eyes_launch

0211_shirley_temple_photos_remembering_footer_v3

boo boo

I cried! Every little girl has had our hair pinned in curls and we copied her dancing and singing. Forever imitated but never duplicated. A real class act all the way. I'm still crying.

Sandi

We have lost a national treasure

johnnie

SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT. I REMEMBER HER WELL. SHE MADE THE MOVIES THAT EVERY ONE COULD WATCH WITH NO RATINGS. I GUESS SHE IS DANCING AND SINGING IN HEAVEN NOW. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES SHIRLEY AS YOU WILL BE MISSED,

JB

Fifty years later, I still remember how sad that "Bright Eyes" scene was after her mother was killed. Glad that Shirley had a long, full life. RIP.

harry

Im #8326480,but no seriously, a moment of silence to one of americas most iconic character, as one pass, another one comes along. I always heard famous people dies in 3. (Mj and those other 2 famous people died close together. Paul walker, brian griffan and mandala died close togeather. Now it's philip Hoffman, shirley temple, ... whos next :(

Real n the field

ok now im gonna be sad all day.
americas sweetest child actor that ever graced
the stage!
r.i.p. sweetie..xoxoxo

Sili'LilSkoolgrl

There will never be another.

BigSamStewart

I thought this dopey old pube-head died 20 year ago.

The Zombie

When I was 5, I didn't realize she was already 50 and I had a crush on her. RIP

homelessdude

I raise my "Shirley Temple ****tail" as a tribute to her. RIP Shirley, you were a wonderful person in life. Too bad other celebrities do not follow her lead. Thanks for everything.

homelessdude

Hmmmm, seems TMZ has a filter. I meant no disrespect with my previous post. I therefore Raise my glass of "Shirley Temple Drink" in honor of her.

boo boo

It's possible to be the biggest child star EVER and NOT transform yourself into something resembling a prostitute on your 18th birthday. Take a history lesson Hwood!

ColiePolie

When child stars were just talented, and when you heard about them it was because they were amazing in something new.

Steve

A true Hollywood legend from the days when Hollywood actually had stars. RIP.

2idiots

Thanks for all the great movies you gave us! You'll always be remembered!