« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Derek Jeter

I'm Retiring

After One Last Season

2/12/2014 11:08 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0212-derek-jeter

Derek Jeter just announced ... he's retiring after one final season with the New York Yankees.

Jeter just posted his explanation on Facebook ... saying, "I could not be more sure. I know it in my heart. The 2014 Season will be my last year playing professional baseball."

He continues, "For the last 20 years I've been completely focused on two goals: playing my best and helping the Yankees win. That means that for 365 days a year my every thought and action were geared toward that goal. It's now time for something new."

The 39-year-old continues, "I want to soak in every moment of every day this year, so I can remember it for the rest of my life. And most importantly, I want to help the Yankees reach our goal of winning another championship."

Back in November, Jeter agreed to take a pay cut ... and signed a 1-year deal for 2014 that will pay him $12 million.

0212-derek-jeter-announcement

0212_derek_jeter_yankees_photos_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

James R. - Los Angeles

Don't care.

LB

Same team for life. Good luck and enjoy.

Livvie

He should retire from spreading herpes.

H8Kardash

Hope they dont the same crap at every stadium like they did for Mariano last season

Vote2012

People like him never go away, they cannot fact the fact they are getting old. They play mind games with the lame media.

bbwlover1969

Go Sox

Superbowlchamps

If I were him I would only sleep with Minka Kelly. One very lucky man. Home Run!!

The Universe

A real stanup guy who played the game the right way, unlike that drug cheat AROD who should be banned for life.

StevenB

Are you expecting the world to pay tribute to you every freaking day and at every freaking game until then or something?

logan

To all the haters out there concerning Derek Jeter....like him or not he always has and always will be a class act...PERIOD!