Michael B. Jordan

Screw Critics, Fans Will

Love My Black Human Torch

2/21/2014 8:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

022114_michael_b_jordan_launch
Michael B. Jordan has a message for all the hating comic book fans who say a BLACK man can't play the extremely WHITE Human Torch -- CHILL OUT!

Jordan just got the the role of Johnny Storm in the upcoming Fantastic Four remake -- even though in comics, the character's always been blonde-haired, blue-eyed ... and has a white sister Sue Storm (Kate Mara got that role).

Last night at Chi Lin in WeHo ... we asked MBJ what he would say to critics who said things like: "Don't cast a black guy to play a white super hero. It's just not right!" ... and "no no no no no no and nooooooo!!!"

Check out Michael's answer. One thing's for sure ... Black Torch has way more swagger.

Joey

ffff

Joey

LOL White people hate anything that "belongs" to them being taken away...White do not worry about just one character - you still have every character on television shows - most famous movie actors - most rich people - most everything really...I suppose slavery affected white people too - I'll do anything I can help you rehab you from your entitlement.

chicago_animal

Booooooooo-urns

nick

Boo come on make new black hero's and see if they sell first

Yurra Knutz

Where Charlie Chan at?

NOT ELMO

Michael B. Jordan -- Screw the Critics, Fans Will Love My Black Human Torch...............I LIKE THE-HUMAN-TORCH A LOT MORE THAN CAPTAIN-AMERICA BECAUSE THE-HUMAN-TORCH HAS LOTS OF POWERS INCLUDING FLIGHT, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH A BLACK GUY BEING THE-HUMAN-TORCH, THAT'S BETTER THAN HAVING A BLACK GUY BE MISTER-FANTASTIC, I HOPE THE STUDIO RELEASES THE-FANTASTIC-FOUR-REBOOT IN 2D, 3D AND IMAX-3D...

NOT ELMO

Michael B. Jordan..................COULD'VE BEEN CYBORG OR JOHN STEWART THE GREEN LANTERN BUT TOO LATE NOW....

Nikki

Why does Hollywood always try to be so desperately edgy?

STEVEWHITE

He got the part because he's Director Josh Tranks Bitch

Michael B

Ok wow if your main reason for this guy not be the Human Torch is because he's black you're a racist, plain and simple. How many crazy delusional white boys dress up as Japanese Anime characters? And how many little white girls dress up as Tiana,Jasmine, Mulan, and Pocahontas? I mean come on! And white people what you can't seem to comprehend is that YOU ARE IN NO WAY OPPRESSED!! YES it is a problem for white people to be black characters b/c there are only so many. I encourage you to name more than 10 black superheroes who aren't John Stewart, Storm, Blade, or Black Panther show where they show up in a movie then get back to me. Yes they should make characters who are just black and gay and w/e but that shouldn't stop them from creating diversity where there is literally NONE!! Storm and Nick Fury are literally the ONLY BLACK CHARACTERS IN A MAJOR SUPERHERO FILM THAT DO MORE THAN APPEAR RIGHT NOW!! Can you not see how that is wrong. ALSO I think people will understand that the guy on fire is the human torch regardless of whether he is black or white or w/e .

ElliotKin80

That's just Hollywood they do it all the time... Both ways what's the big deal? I'm white and looking forward to see what he can bring to that character . It is 2014 American people, damn Americans and their racist BS!!!

Naughtyniki824

For real though? Who the F cares??? Black, white, yellow???? Who the f**k cares??? He is a damn good actor and I'm pretty sure he is going to do a great job regardless!!! Don't hate just because he isn't a blonde hair blue eyed douche biscuit !!! And this is coming from a white, brown eyed, brown haired chick!!!

Kayla

What kills me is how up in arms white people are about this but I bet none of you batted an eye when white actors WERE cast in roles who played POC. Johnny Depp as Tonto and Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia.

APRAMA

As an ebony earthling (hey, I'm forward thinking) and comic book collector, I do find it amusing that the news came out this month "aka - Black History Month", but I'll strike that up to coincidence. Nevertheless, I will now address the elephant in the room...

1- I appreciate the "lets add diversity" to the normal lily white Hollywood landscape, but changing a title character with a long rich history is just ridiculous. Need remind the producers of the ill conceived "Billy D Williams" as "Harvey Dent" in the first Batman movie. Stop screwing up established comic book characters with your liberal Hollywood guilt.

2- Sue Storm has a younger brother, not a young brotha named Johnny. I doubt the back-story will be one of her parents getting a case of jungle fever. I suspect, he will be adopted (a nod to "Different Strokes" or more recently "The Blind Side"). We in the black community appreciate our rich white friends, helping raise our children while making a decent profit when selling the rights of their story to a studio.

3- Changing the skin color of an established character, to separate the new film from the old is simplistic. How about putting a film together that doesn't stink. Sure the old films made money, but lacked: the family unity of the team, a May/December marriage, suit of armor for Dr. Doom, a cgi created Thing and of course not making Galactus look like a cloud.

4- With such a change, it's going to be interesting how they explain this in the comics. Notice, after marvel movie come out, the characters in the actual comics tend to get their appearance and history altered. Unlike "Nick Fury", who although popular, was not a central figure. It's not going to be easy to "black wash" the character, you'll just confuse all those new comic buyers who want their Johnny Storm with flavor.

5- At some point, a new game will be developed whenever we hear "Flame On" throughout the movie. I imagine many people taking a toke on their choice of bud.

PokeFangirl

Remember how pissed off everyone was when that troll M. Night Shyamalan choose to change the race of everyone in that crap of live action addition of Avatar The last Airbender? It's the same thing. People want the the Film versions of their favorite characters to be portrayed as accurately as possible. You can add more personality and detail but they have to be subtle and unnoticeable.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments